Sinister: stuart and stuart write

Honey honey at xxx.net
Mon Oct 4 17:41:15 BST 1999

Hello children - Watch With Mother time again.  I've got two things
to share with you all so gather round.

Before I do, can I say it's lovely to see some ragged old faces back
on the list from ages ago, it's like Remembrance Sunday.  I'll take
this opportunity to bore them to tears and remind others that you're
all little darlings, but please remember when you post to the list to
have a think about how many people receive what you send... I don't
mean to be an old nag, honestly, and you're all doing swimmingly
really.  Once or twice though people tell me that the list traffic is
a little too high and unfocussed to keep up with, so a little nudge
to remind you all please to... think before you send.  The list goes
wrong when the majority of people don't have time to read the
majority of posts, so please try and keep your audience in mind.
Eeek you'll all hate me now.

On to business.  The first thing is that that nice man Stuart David has
finally got a publisher for his book "Nalda", extracts of which some of
you might have read on his Looper site at
http://www.treehouse.clara.net but which he didn't ever finish putting
up.  The publishers have written to me (and other too) because they
want YOU to hear all about it (and buy one).  They're also sending me a
copy for a competition, so we're having a

"Tim Hopkins Swearing Contest"

The idea is that you swear at Tim Hopkins in a Belle and Sebastian
related way, via email, and he judges which is the best.  You get
points for (a) humour, (b) B&S content and (c) cussability (he
says).  DON'T swear at him yet, unless it's unrelated to the
competition, we'll be sending on rules of engagement a little later
this evening.  Anyone who swears at Tim without good reason before
the competition starts gets disqualified, although I'm sure someone
will take advantage of the opportunity anyway.

Anyway here's the blurb from the publisher (I've just seen Alex's
mail: it might be the same blurb):

*****

NALDA SAID - STUART DAVID'S INTRIGUING DEBUT NOVEL, PUBLISHED BY
I.M.P FICTION,  IS RELEASED 18/10/99

STUART DAVID WILL BE PERFORMING WITH LOOPER TO PROMOTE NALDA SAID,
DURING THE WEEK OF RELEASE AND SIGNING COPIES -

Saturday 16th October - Virgin, Glasgow.
Doors 8.30pm, performing 9.00pm.
Tickets available FREE from the store.
Tel: 0141 353 2993

Monday 18th October - Virgin, Oxford Street, London.
Doors 9.30pm, performing 10.00pm.
Tickets available FREE from the store.
Tel: 0171 631 1614

Tuesday 19th October - Borders Bookshop, Oxford Street, London. (Details
TBC)

Wednesday 20th October - Sallis Benney Theatre,University of Brighton.
In conjunction with Borders, Brighton.
Doors 8pm, performing 8.30pm
Tickets are £7/£5 concs. Price includes a £3 discount off the book for
that night only.
Available from Borders Books, Music & Cafe, Churchill Square, Brighton.
Tel: 01273 731122

Thursday 21st October - Virgin, Oxford.
Doors 8.30pm, performing 9.00pm.
Tickets available FREE from the store.
Tel: 01865 723 906

Friday 22nd October - Virgin, Leeds.
Doors 7.30pm, performing 8.00pm
Tickets available FREE from the store.
Tel: 0113 243 8117

You can buy Nalda Said in all good book and record stores from 18/10/99
You can also buy it MAIL ORDER -
Send a cheque/international money order in pounds sterling,  payable to
Independent Music Press Ltd, for 7.99 PLUS 1. postage and packing.
Allow 21 days for delivery, normally dispatched within 7 days.

ABOUT THE BOOK -

Riddled by an intense fear of his bizarre secret being discovered, the
narrator of Nalda Said grows up in the strange seclusion of a shoddy
caravan with his Aunt Nalda, whose own colourful storytelling leaves him
perpetually trapped between fantasy and reality.

Nalda's nephew eventually finds work as a hospital gardener where,
perhaps for the first time, he finds true friendship and begins to
realise that his dark secret has been suffocating what hope he had of
ever leading a normal life.

Finding himself in love, this socially disjointed figure struggles to
reconcile his own curious view of the world with the stark daily reality
that most people are forced to live with. Yet, his own bleak battle to
break free from these mental shackles oddly reflects the desperation of
the very same people who cruelly poke fun at him.

Nalda Said is a disturbing, compelling and brilliantly crafted tale of
one man's pained anxiety and desperate search for his dream - to live a
normal life.

ISBN: 0-9533275-2-3   Paperback, 160 pages   Published: 18/10/99
Price: 7.99 uk pounds

*****

Secondly, that other Stuart, Mr Murdoch asked me to pass on info on
the following WWW site to you all, which he got at a pop star party,
just cos.

*****

> hey, this is for real.  help feed the hungry for free!
>
>  PLEASE take the time to read this.
>  The Hunger Site at the U.N.
>
>  This is a really neat website. All you do is click a button and somewhere
> in  the world some hungry person gets a meal to eat at no cost to you.
> The
> food  is paid for by corporate sponsors. All you do is go to the site and
> click.
>
>  But, you're only allowed one click per day so spread the word to others.
>  Visit the site and pass the word.
>
>  http://www.thehungersite.com

*****

That's it.