Sinister: Why not smile??? Reflections of a good time that could be better

Koen De Crock koendcr at xxx.com
Mon Oct 4 17:51:36 BST 1999

Hello fellow sinisterians, wonderful people

Finally, I've made it!!! Out of the fucking nursery and into the wonderful,
magic world that is the sinister mailing list. So many fucking crazy people
all combined by one major thing: their love for a small, gorgeous band
called Belle and Sebastian.
Okay, let me present myself.  My name is Koen, i'm 23 years old and from
Belgium. Crap, of course, I mean, why do you want to know how old I am. It's
not that that matters.  By the way, apparently Koen sounds a lot like the
portuguese word Cunaõ (any portuguese people who can confirm this???), which
basically means the same as "cunt".  As I have a lot of Portuguese friends
who write me now and then, I am also known as el fortito, which means the
small, but brave one.  This is basically shite, because I am not small, and
definitely not brave. But, my name is dutch also menas, yes...... "Brave".
In case any of you would like to know, I study international political
relations in Leuven, Belgium. I mainly do this: 1) because it is an extra
year (I already have a degree) and don't want to work, and 2) because I am
really interested in it (surprise.......).  So, if I talk too much shite
about every thing that goes wrong politically in the world, just kick me
(virtually, of course) For now, I will shut up about it.
So, why do we love Belle and Sebatsian's music so much? Is it because they
make the most wonderful, poppish and lovely music in the world? YES. Is it
because their music always sounds great, whether you're drunk, sober, doing
the dishes, talking to your girlfriend or f***ing her? YES. Is it because
they are a perfect substitute for a girlfriend (don't know whom of you wrote
this, but it is true)? YES, and I should know: my girlfriend is Portuguese,
from Lisbon, some 2000 miles away; when I miss her, I play B+S, the perfect
medicine. Is it because they refuse to give in to the big money of the
capitalistic major record companies (I am a left wing pseudo-anarchist, you
know)? YES, of course...... And I could go on and on...... Anyway, are there
any Belgian people on this list. Maybe, we could have a meet up in Leuven,
or Antwerp, or Ghent, or Brussels.....

So, my love for Belle and her Sebastian goes very far, but..... why have
they only played once (as far as I know) in Belgium?? And why did they have
to do it on a night I could not go??? So, come on, you press-shy (at least,
that's what the papers say) popstars, come to Belgium and give me a
treat!!!!
My life does NOt revolve around Belle and Sebastian. At least not enirely. I
also listen to other great stuff: Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai,
Motorpsycho, Low, dEUS (the Belgian pride), Do make Say Think, Sofa,
etc.......  The last albums I bought were: 1) Everything is nice (10 years
of Matador): it features a brilliant Mogwai song called Hugh Dallas,
previously unreleased (Don't know why it's not on one of their Albums or
EP's, caues it's one of the best they've ever done. 2) The Carve Up: a CD
compilation from the famous radio show on London's XFM, which is sadly
stopped: it features an accoustic version of Nick Cave's "The Mercy Seat",
and another exclusive Mogwai Song, "Nick Drake" (good enough, but they've
done better). As I believe Music you listen to is always a reflection of
someone's character, I hope this list gives you a bit of an Idea of mine.
By the way, my friends say I am shy. This is not true, I just don't see the
point in talking on and on without saying something.

I went to a party of a friend yesterday.  Drank a lot, the music was shite,
but the people and the atmosphere were nice.  Had a lot of laughs, saw a
friend I hadnt seen for quite a while and finally could set my mind of my
girlfriend somehow.  Lost my glasses, found them back (all broken), so had
to buy new ones. Fuck!!!!! But, did not let this spoil my weekend. Slept
till two o'clock on Sunday, woke up with tigermilk, watched cycling on the
telly, went to the pub for a few beers, etc... So you see, nothing much
happened.

By the way, how can I know my girlfriend is not cheating on me in Lisbon.  I
guess I will have to trust her, which I do, most of tthe time.  But,
sometimes I start doubting. I mean, what's the point in continiung this
relationship anyway??? There's a lot of great girls here too, I hardly ever
see her.  We communicate by phone , letters or e-mail. We send each other
gifts, etc....  The fact that I am still with her after one year must mean
that she's actually so great that it's gonna be difficult to find a better
girl. This makes me sad sometimes, because I know I will have to give up all
muy friends, and family here to move to Portugal in a year or so... (She
said she does not really want to live in Belgium). Is this realistic, or
not???? Don't know. Love moves in mysterious ways.

Anyway, If some of you have the same problem, you can always send me a
private e-mail. My mind has wandered of now. I guess I will go now and
listen to Belle and Sebastian some more.

And come on, lets do a meet-up somehow, somewhere in the Vicinity of
Belgium.

Let the electronic renaissance live on

El fortito, a.k.a. c***