Sinister: Observations on a digest, Nalda Said, etc.

Brandt Fundak bfundak at xxx.org
Mon Oct 4 19:37:04 BST 1999

Okay, after reading the latest digest I just had some issues I wanted to
get my thoughts out about.

THE SINISTER MANIFESTO

I found this interesting, but the word Manifesto always makes me
frightened, because it always says to me "let me tell you how to live your
life."  Now I am not saying this in Megan's case (although I did wonder
what brought said manifesto on...) but with the recent politcal climate in
the US, what with the elephant dung Virgin Mary and the Christian
Coalition getting together for a powwow last week, I am a bit wary of
people asseritng their ideology lately. I refuse to push my thoughts on
anyone--but I am frankly getting tired of people wanting to decide for me
how to live my life.  I am 24 years old and I am a big boy and can make my
own decisions, and if I choose to assert my wish to see an elephant dung
Virgin Mary (which frankly is more interesting than the usual virgin
mary's I've seen about) then I will go see it, Rudy Guiliani and the
Christian Coalition be damned.  I want public funds to go for it as well,
because I am part of the public and I pay taxes and I think that people
should be given an opportunity to see it.

NALDA SAID

I am of course intrigued by Stuart's foray into print, but I am also weary
of such things.  I have consciously passed up novels by Peter Farrelly and
Stephen Fry (two people I find very funny/entertaining in the media that I
was introduced to them in) because of that very fact.  I often wonder WHY
people are being published and if they received their initial fame through
a different media, I will be suspect.  My main issue here is that I doubt
Stuart David would have been granted the ability to publish Nalda Said
had he not been "Stuart David of Belle and Sebastian fame," something that
is the first thing pointed out in the author bio on the Amazon.com UK web
page for Nalda Said.  I will reserve such judgement until after I have
read the book however.

I'M NOT DOWN OFF THE SOAPBOX YET

I was dismayed to find out today that the media giant that owns half of
the radio stations in Cleveland is buying the company that owns the other
half. So much for radio quality.  Sorry but 2 college radio stations and
an NPR station are small oases of hope and they seem to be getting
swallowed up.

I LOVE IT WHEN...

Someone thinks a job is too menial for them so they make me or another
hard working person do it instead. I always want to say, "Boy, do you know
how to get on the right side of the worker's rights guy."

MAYBE THE SUN WILL SHINE TODAY

My gran had some awful cancer surgery today and made it through. We feared
the worst and she ended up making it, but she has a long road to go.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Brandt