Sinister: Little birds in winter time, hungry are and poor...

robhalcrow at xxx.net robhalcrow at xxx.net
Mon Oct 4 19:48:56 BST 1999

Dear everyone,
  I only get to see digests at weekends now, if that, but I promise I won't post without reading everything. Cross my heart.
  Anyway, on the subject of the next album Ailsa was right. When I spoke to Richard C in the summer he said he wasn't writing anything for the album.  I can't remember who said they'd rather have all Stu M songs but whoever it was I don't agree. I think one of B&S's big attractions for me is the way that everyone gets a go at their own songs and the band manages to come up with a lovely arrangement every time. So a song which you might politely describe as "slight" (like "Paperboat"?) becomes something memorable when they've all done their bit. Or is that too idealistic?
  Following on from Laura Lew's book list recommendations I don't think liking  Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity" is a bloke thing. I'm a bloke and I think it's crap. It's demeaning to men...oh we're so silly and anal and just little boys inside...how wonderful of women to deign to condescend to have anything to do with us. Or is that too cynical? (You may notice a not so interesting dichotomy emerging). However "Fever Pitch" and "About A Boy" are v good, I reckon.
   Lastly if any Sinister types are knocking about Goldsmiths College for the next year or so (like what I am) feel free to email me. Then we can say hello.
Bye
Rob