Sinister: Getting it off my chest

Alder, Lucy lucy.alder at xxx.uk
Tue Oct 5 15:20:41 BST 1999

I'm having the crappiest, shittiest day ever.  I hate work and I nearly
cried (which I only do very rarely) and I've been told by one of the nice
people to take 10 minutes and recover from what the nasty people have been
doing.  So I'm using you to calm myself down because I know you're all
lovely and good listeners.  Hope you don't mind.

Last weekend I went to a stately home called Upton House and it had an
amazing garden.  I think I might have told some London people about it on
Friday night (booze obscures memory - plus ca change) but I wanted to share
it with all of you because it was the most wonderful place I've ever been
to.  The garden falls away down the side of a steep hill and there are high
walls, wooded bits and topiary hedges everywhere, which means that wherever
you are standing, there is always a part of the garden you can't see.  The
effect is that you turn a corner and suddenly discover another part of the
garden you've not seen before - it seemed almost enchanted in the late
afternoon autumnal sunshine with its butterflies and scent of lavender .  I
thought what a good place it would be for a game of hide-and-seek, and also
that it would be perfect for hand-in-hand walking and secluded snogging.
But what it made me think about most was that you never really know what's
going to happen next in your life - one day you could be doing the same old
things in the same old places, the next you could turn a corner and discover
brand-new, brilliant things.  I don't think I'm expressing this very well...
I'm just a hopeless optimist and when the things in your life that are going
rather well become obscured by the things that aren't, you need to have
something to cheer you up, don't you?

Sorry for the cod-philosophy and thank you for being my medicine.  I'll try
to be perky and amusing next time.

Juicy Lucy x

This communication contains information which is confidential and
may also be privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient(s),
please note that any distribution, copying or use of this
communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.
the sender immediately and then destroy any copies of it.