Sinister: no one will ever love you honestly

keith mclachlan keythkeyth at xxx.net
Wed Oct 6 03:10:28 BST 1999

i have seen american beauty and i had the exact opposite reaction to brandt's.
 i though everything about it was ugly, magnifying all of the most vile and
base characteristics of modern life made me queasy, i don't relate to the
characters on screen(i suppose that is the point of fiction eh?) and seeing
people around me laugh uneasily made me feel miserable?  i suppose i am
sounding rather pedestrian here, all donna reed even but i didn't care about
anyone in the movie, the climax had absolutely no effect on me and the malaise
of the movie infected me for days.  is this the movie's triumph?  the fact
that it drags you deep into its dire domain.

i am still hoping for a revival of beauty as hope not as simple irony.

for the elephant dung/virgin controversy, what is shocking to me is how cheap
stunts still ellicit such reactions?  public funding is censorship so to claim
the threat of refusal of funds is censorship is all a bit redundant.

keith
'lovers of the arctic circle' was beautiful, sad that i must cling to it
because everything else i have seen this year has made me wilt.

anyone have the new moose ep yet?  i have only just sent my six dollars off to
roy saltwater this evening.