Sinister: I was made to love magic...

Steve Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Thu Oct 7 13:18:24 BST 1999

colin thornton wrote:

> Hello everyone,

hello and welcome aboard matey! arrrrrrr!

> I was wondering if the Belle and Sebastian lifestyle is big enough in Europe
> and other places to cause a cultural backlash?  I've noticed on certain
> negative amazon.com B&S reviews that there are a few jerks, whom intend on
> crushing fragile B&S fans.  How big is our sub-culture?  I'm just curuious,
> since most people here are clueless toward any indie music (as was I).

i was discussing a similar thing not too long ago with alex of penguin
records here in toronto.  he guessed that the B&s backlash would come
shortly after the Godspeed you Black Emperor! backlash and he said that
would happen after the concert in early september.  He was wrong about
godspeed... and so far B&S seem to be going fairly strong.  However, its
not as if alex is some sort of buffoon....far from it, he is a genius
and our conversation about various pop backlashes relied heavily on many
interesting examples from the past ie the terrifying tortoise backlash
that completely crippled the wonderful sam prekop solo record earlier
this year.  so yes, you need only go so far as your local collection of
'cool' indie kids to see if theres a belle and sebastian backlash on in
your neighborhood.

gee, maybe its just my limited social circle but everything in toronto
seems to tie back into penguin records.  most of my male friends have a
crush on the lass known only as 'the penguin records girl'  and are
considering holding some kind of manly fighting contest to determine
which out of them is fit to attempt to woo her.  also, alex let me hear
the new Make Up lp before it comes out later this month and boy are we
all in for a treat!

I AM PENTAGON!
sk