Sinister: i don't love anyone

kerry zutroy at xxx.org
Fri Oct 8 04:47:38 BST 1999

so i rediscovered my favorite form of escapism today: hiding behind my
eyeglasses. see, i didn't wear my glasses much for the past few weeks
because i didn't like them very much. they weren't very interesting or even
very flattering, and they were too tight to wear all the time. sure, they
didn't fall off my face when i read, which was nice, but too much and they
hurt.
anyway, yesterday i went shopping with the oh-so-sexy miss teri zuckerman
(poor thing is suffering from an upper respiratory viral infection, so
everyone hope for her better health) and we went to target (swanky, i
know). anyway, i found a pair of cute little tortoise shell frames that i
liked an awful lot for under $100 at the appropriately-named target optical
center.
so today i come back from an unsucessful lab trying to do time-lapse
videography of exodermal cells detaching from sea urchin embryos as a
result of degradation of the hyeline layer by hyeline extraction medium.
anyway, to make a long story short nothing happened. so i was disappointed
and hungry and went home. when i got home i found a joyeous message on my
answering machine from the fabulous folks at target telling me my new
glasses were ready. so i grabbed my friend steve (who was looking for a toy
for a lady-friend) we jumped in his car and drove to target where i got my
new glasses.
the point of this whole story is that since i put them on some 7 hours ago
i remembered how easy it is to distance myself from the rest of the world
simply by adding a layer of plastic lenses. everything looks a little more
crisp and a little less 3-dimensional, and things tend to warp at the
corners, and it seems like i'm watching my life on television, like it's
not really happening.
i first discovered this at the end of this past summer when jon and i were
breaking up. i went for several weeks only taking my glasses off to sleep,
even if i didn't need them and my head hurt and my eyes were tired. i
didn't want to deal with the outside world, so i hid behind them.
and since jon and i got in a fight the other day about our stupid
relationship (which i've given up on, btw), these glasses provide such
pleasant respite from the real world. *sigh*
and the only song i can listen to without feeling depressed is "i don't
love anyone," even though it's not really true.
oh, and i'm awful sad that i've never been voted list crush, not even been
suggested for the list of folks to vote for. :(
so if any of you are harboring secret crushes on me, please let it be known
and suggest my name or something, because i've been on this list for like a
year and a half and nobody's voted for me. there's pictures of me on the
sinsiter site, even. i'm not *that* funny-looking, am i?
i'll stop whining now.

-kerry
"if acquired characteristics can not be passed on . . . man lives and
suffers in vain. whatever he might have acquired in the course of a
lifetime dies with him."
                  -paul kannmerer -- in defence of lamarck