Sinister: Queen of Screech

ian ian at xxx.uk
Sat Oct 9 00:00:46 BST 1999

hello...
i'm not going to do a funny introduction today, i'm not in the mood..

pj miller and friend were discussing:

>>>Yoko Ono: Surely the Queen of Screech has appeared with one of the
Lennon
>brats at some time or other?

-Ah yes. Yoko's most recent albums, entitled "Rising" and "Rising
-Remixes" featured Wee Sean's group IMA, which must stand for
-something. I thought about buying them at the time, but thankfully I
-didn't bother in the end. The remix one has got a twenty or thirty
-minute thing tagged on the end. Correct me if I'm wrong.

right, mr miller, open wide.. your mouth that is...and stay still while i
get my trusty bar of soap..
it seems that it is one of those periodic sticking-up-for-yoko moments...
actually, i'm not going to engage in a heated debate on the quality of madam
ono's music, or defend her right to scream her way through an album if
that's what she wants to do (granted, not one of her most listenable
attempts) probably best to stick to specifics.. pj, if you like yoko then
these albums are well worth a listen.  as with most of her excursions into
recording, there are some songs that work and some that don't but when she
does hit the nail on the head the results are amazing.
having said that, i've never played the thirty minute interactive piece at
the end of the mix album.  there's a song that precedes it named "franklin
summer" where yoko makes noises for twenty minutes, and i've never really
got past that.
hmm...i'm not doing a very good job of sticking up for her am i?  its very
late in the day and i should be out there drinking with the other boys and
girls instead of inside tapping away at my keyboard.

but while i'm here....owen said

-The
-thing is you can never really understand what I'm trying to say unless
-your me, and one thing you can never be is me. I can send you a postcard
-but you can't come to visit. If I could write better postcards then you
-might get a better view of where I am. It depresses me that I can't as
-being useless at expressing myself leads to the sort of misunderstanding
-that is documented above.

you know owen, i thought your postcard was wonderful.  it had the sort of
design that i could sit and stare at for hours.  perhaps you should keep
that analogy and use it the next time you meet mr murdoch...

rob:

_As far as the list crush goes I now refuse to recognise it's authority. I
deny it. I am a _fugitive from its dominion. See? Knackers to it.

right on, comrade....we don't need no popularity contest.  we are sure
enough of ourselves and our own identities, and we don't require them to be
reified by a computerised poll...
sour grapes?  me?  of course not..

alasdair reveals excellent taste:

_Songs with speaking in them. I really like the end of Suede's 'Stay
_Together', in fact it's one of my favourite endings to a song because of
_the general chaos, which the speaking enhances

amen to that, brother (oh, sorry, i was momentarily possessed by the soul of
a gospel singer)....i especially like the whale noises at the end of the
extended version...

perhaps i should stop there.  i've gone into "agreeing with people" mode and
that's usually a sign that my creativity's gone down the pub.  i'll go and
stare at the wall for a bit instead

ian

"sort of like a gay dirty den, really"...apparently..