Sinister: Actual B&S content

Craig craigrm at xxx.uk
Sun Oct 10 15:32:21 BST 1999

OK I'll admit it's not "actual" as in band gossip or anything exciting like
that, but it still makes a nice change from the usual random thoughts I
insist on inflicting upon you all.

Firstly in order for this to all make sense I'll have to make a wee
confession. I have purchased this weeks NME. I can't fully explain it as
it's all a bit of a blur.... I can vaguely remember being in Sainsbury's and
the next thing I knew I was back home with a weeks supply of groceries, and
a brand spanking new copy of the NME.

I figured I might as well read it.

Lo & behold I came upon an article concerning "100 Ways That Rock Shook Up
The World".

01. Kurt Cobain's death  - yawn
02. Dylan going electric
03. Belle & Sebastian winning a Brit award - accompanied by a lovely piccy
of Mick & Richard looking rather bemused by it all.
04. Neil Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd's Infamous spat
05. Lennon claiming the Beatles are bigger than Jesus

and so on .....

Still nice to see that the monumentous Brit's win was such an earth
shattering event, no doubt it had the 'Hot Line' between Downing St. and the
Whitehouse running red hot all night.

Here's what the NME had to say about it.

"A fabulous bit of barricade-charging here, as Stuart Murdoch's reclusive
gang stormed the world of Dave Stuart and Jonathan King. As surprise
nomination for 1998's Best Newcomer Brit Award, Belle & Sebastian were up
against Steps and Another Level - particularly tough competition given the
result was decided by a Radio 1 listeners poll. Yet not only did they win
gloriously, sending - in quiet mockery - drummer Richard Colburn and
trumpeter Mick Cook to collect their award, they also outraged pop pope Pete
Waterman, who claimed vote-rigging by e-mail.
Untrue: Belle & Sebastian fans were merely techno-literate, and the forces
of Scottish indie and computer science prevailed. A result in every way."

Ohhhh does that mean the NME likes us now ?.

Anyway that's enough for now, I'll let you get on with your lives until my
next thrilling post.

Don't let Jack Frost bite !!! (unless he's paying £175 an hour for the
privilege, and even then there's no tongues allowed)

Craig xoxx