Sinister: animal x! hot potato!

Steve Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Mon Oct 11 13:40:11 BST 1999

anyone lucky enough to be in toronto today got themselves one honey of a
fall day, that is for sure.  boy was it nice.  it was so nice it almost
put me in a bad mood.

my mum and i went to the zoo today.

regardless of what you may think about imprisoning animals it _is_ a
nice place to go every so often.  the sheer variety of forms and shapes
and things and ways that nature gets away with are constantly
astounding.  as a result i want a pet wombat.

also, there were these birds right near the front of the zoo, hyacintine
mackaws or something who were beautiful shades of blue and had
incredibly agile tongues and beaks.  thhey  were a joy to watch, but
they made the most hellish sound.  it was so miserable sounding that it
made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. they didn't really seem
unhappy, they just seemed to like making that sound.  i thought of the
poetry parrot (although i realize that these were mackaws) and smiled to
myself.

i must confess i don't really like poetry.  too many people around me
crank out volumes of the stuff and i have to go to readings because
they're nice people and they deserve the support but when they start
talking i just have to wear big sweaters to cover the
cringing....although there are gems every now and again.  the last
reading i was at was uniformly dismal but one fellow did this rousing
number which got my blood a flowin'.  he would go on for a bit about how
some female was rejecting his advances and when it was his turn, in the
poem that was, to offer the reasons for her taking him into her heart he
would yell:  but I HAVE A LOVE THE SIZE OF LOS ANGELES!!! and after a
while everyone yelled it along with him because we knew what was
coming.  it was fun.  it rained that day and i ate an entire bag of that
cheddar popcorn, so that my mouth would be full and i'd have an excuse
not to lie to my friends about what i thought of their poetry.

good evening (or morning or afternoon or something)

steven kado