Sinister: New to the parts...

jp.champagne at xxx.ca jp.champagne at xxx.ca
Tue Oct 12 19:43:43 BST 1999

Hi all,

I'm a new one to this town and wanted to say "hi."
I've a mailing-list habit that has probably been done n number of times
before, but I'm always interested in checking out what people are
listening to (and really curious to see how B&S overlap with others).
I'll get things started:
1) B&S.  I guess that's no shocker.  Really disappointed when I showed
up to the Opera House last winter here in Toronto, only to see "Show
cancelled."
2) There was Smiths' talk some time back - big guns in my books.
3) Billy Bragg fans out there?
4) Tortoise and the extended Thrill Jockey offsprings (Isotope 217,
Brokeback, Pullman, Directions in Music) - plus BIG fix on the Sea and
Cake (the Sam Prekop album is also really sharp - Archer Prewitt's leave
something to be desired, tho).
5) More Thrill Jockey - Trans Am.
6) Mogwai are decent.  Recent show at the Horseshoe was a bit tedious at
times.
7) Lots of indie rock staples: Archers of Loaf (plus Barry Black - Eric
Bachmann did a solo set here last year at the Horseshoe, and it was just
beautiful, plus he's playing with Superchunk at the end of the month),
GBV, Yo La Tengo, Superchunk, et al.....
8) Trashcan Sinatras - haven't found too many other fans.  I just bought
the Japanese re-release of "Cake" for $48.  Fuck, that's tough on the
books, but have you heard Drunken Chorus and Useless?  Point finale.
9) Just recently picked up Arab Strap's Philaphobia.  Still digesting,
but tastes pretty good so far.  I guess the lyrics are sorta honest...
10) DJ Shadow.  Done.
11) Rachel's, although I've still yet to really get a firm hold on
Selenography despite having bought it ages ago.
12) A band whose praises I can't sing enough: Godspeed You Black
Emperor! Caught them a short while back, and it was astounding.
13) Anything Will Oldham touches.

I guess that's a start.  In retrospect, such postings seem a little
juvenile, but then again, I've never once contended that I possess any
level of maturity.

And there it is.
JPMFC

P.S.  How about a useless thread: where is the oddest place you've found
yourself listening to B&S?  For me, it's barreling down 100's of
kilometers of horrible dirt road in a beat-up Land Rover in Uganda.