Sinister: You've got to make the bastard think he's right

Brandt Fundak bfundak at xxx.org
Wed Oct 13 17:49:17 BST 1999

Hello extended family,

This message is lean on the B & S content--I really have nothing original
to say about the band really.

Last night my mom was having some serious chest pains and thought she
might be having a heart attack. Her boyfriend called up and started acting
like he knew about heart disease.  He drives a truck for a living.  It got
me thinking about how I hate the way that even though he treats my mother
well, he is often condescending to her because she is a woman.  I think
this is a bunch of crap and I told my mom's best friend so; and her best
friend told me that they had a huge blow out about it. But my mom stays
with him because she dreadfully fears being alone--after all my father
abandoned her and she is right in her assumption that her current
boyfriend is a better man than my dad. Because he is, sometimes.

Am I an awful human being for wishing she were with someone beter?
Ultimately it is her choice who she wants to be with, but I think she can
do better than a condescending Christian who uses his beliefs to justify
the domination of women and to put down homosexuals.  I understand her
fear of being alone--I've been alone for 3 years--but I sometimes think
that being alone would be better than this.

That Belle and Sebastian is one fantastic band, eh?

Brandt