Sinister: Does Poetry Rock?

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Thu Oct 14 14:03:53 BST 1999

That woman in the Guardian is talking shite, isn't she? I bet she's
"slightly soiled" as well. The Trousers Article read much more nicely
than hers, the useless old trout. As veterans of Jeepster's underhand
Brits campaign, we all know how Robbie Williams got to number two. His
fans, little girls or not, are what the NME calls "techno-literate". I
thought everyone thought "Bohemian Rhapsody" was a load of crap. I
have to say that I think the debate between poetry and song lyrics is
a bit redundant. After all, until the record industry came along and
spoiled everything, they were just different words for the same thing.
I have no evidence to back this theory up, apart from the fact that
loads of poems begin "I sing my song and celebrate / the size of
Murdoch's trouser snake", for example. And everybody knows that simple
lyrics are better than complicated ones. I used to like clever lyrics,
but I grew out of it. Now I prefer groove-centred instrumentals. For
the record, I would have voted for "Our House" by Madness, and if
pushed to choose a line, I would plump for "She's the one they're
going to miss in lots of ways", a touching tribute to Madness's mum,
that I'm sure Barry Sheene would appreciate. When my mate's mum got in
a muddle with the camera, he said "Mums eh? They're all the same!"
What a gent.

Keith (17), thank you for deciding to close your disco at such a
sensible hour. If only everyone else would follow your example. Props
to Nick for sending those articles in. I think you deserve to have the
record of your choice played at Keith's special disco. How about it,
Keith?

Peter