Sinister: A message for poor Dan Hooper

Brandt Fundak bfundak at xxx.org
Thu Oct 14 17:37:06 BST 1999

I was touched by Dan's message, but I think the reason he got into the
situation to get the bruised heart was because there is really no way to
accurately judge how someone is going to be *in person* by lengthy
e--mails and phone calls.  Too much of the context of living is divorced
from those situations to accurately judge how perfect someone is going to
be (and no one is perfect.)  I think at times , especially among the
#sinister folk, I have alienated them by saying how stupid internet long
distance relationships are. Well, I have changed my stance.  It can work,
but only when the people meet initially and use the medium to communicate
cheaply. Because then you knew what they were like in person before you
went on your best guess as it were. I mean, I guess the other is possible
too, but it's not as likely and is certainly not a situation I would get
myself into.

Hmmm.  This message was to reassure Dan, but I have a feeling I have
opened a can of worms.  Sorry.

Brandt