Sinister: Introductions and all that nonsense

MICHAEL LIVINGSTON m.livingston at xxx.au
Fri Oct 15 05:23:14 BST 1999

Hi all,

At last I've been allowed out of the nursery and been let in with the big
kids.  I figured I might as well right to you all just to introduce myself
and kill some time.  Actually, mainly to kill time - I've got 3
assignments due on Monday and I can't do any of them so I need something
to do to keep my mind off my problems.  Well, I'm Michael Livingston from
Brisbane Australia - unfortunately B+S have made very little impression on
Brisbane's sunny shores as yet, very occasionally the local community
radio station will play something off one of the albums, but that's as far
as it goes.  Sort of sums up Brisbane in some ways.  Let me exlain.

Last night Rebecca Gates (Spinanes) and Sam Prekop (the sea and cake)
played in town. I think the Spinanes have been here once 3 or so years ago
and as far as I know Sam Prekop hasn't made the trip here before so you
would think that all the indie kids in Brissy would dust off their dancing
shoes (or maybe just their normal shoes if they're a bit self-conscious)
and head out to see some of America's finest.  Alas, maybe 40 people
turned up and can be split into the following categories:

10 - friends of the opening band who were locals
10 - people who had paid the money to come, but were quite content to sit
     around and chat the whole time.
20 - enthusiastic audience members.

So that's a snapshot of Brisbane's enthusiasm towards slightly obscure
bands (a category that B+S (see how I worked them back in to keep it all
on topic) unfortunately fit into in Oz).

Whoops, my first post to the list was a big whinge.  I'm really much
cheerier than that usually.  Honest.

While I'm here:

A guy called Tim <tjl at dmu.ac.uk> mentioned:

> Lucksmiths albums: I now have some, and they are very good. Don't think
> anything else needs to be said about these.

Although it was mentioned specifically that nothing else needed to be said
I just wanted to add my parochial support to the Lucksmiths and confirm
that they are indeed very good.

Ah well, the feelings of guilt are overwhelming me so I'm going to get
back into the fun that my statistics assignment has to offer.

Mick