Sinister: Please excuse my big feet

Dan Hooper dhooper at xxx.com
Fri Oct 15 22:54:42 BST 1999

Howdy all you sinister kids,

Seem I inadvertently trod upon zoe's toes in my last post, and for
this I sincerely apologize. My intention was not to hurt anyone's
feeling or cast aspersions upon anyone's home, but merely to suggest
some fun in the sun. I am sorry if my humor missed it's mark. I meant
no disrespect or to make a new member feel bad.

I would also like to thank all those of you for your messages of
condolence for my recent heartache, even those who upbraided me for
my foolishness (thanks and smiles Brandt). I'm still tumbling down
the road towards hopeless romanticism, I'm still searching for my
soulmate (which I obviously still believe in), and I still don't love
anyone in particular (except maybe my sister, though I do love all of
you for your indulgence and kindness). Anyway, I'm back to my old
happy, cashmere-socks wearing self, wishing I were downing
boddington's with b & s loving people in a dark warm pub and falling
in love with a sweet pickish girl with a soft warm accent.

Oh well, I'll live vicariously through the sinister postings. I
remember, not so long ago, there were some rather forward party
behaviours reported here. How come none of the parties I go to
devolve to such decadent levels? (well they do, but not before we
have to take the girls home).

Regarding what we call sex: I've always found "making love" a bit too
precious (unless it is said in a Barry White kinda voice), but
otherwise I have to agree with danielle. "Shagging," like so many
britishisms, really captures all fun and dumbness and there is to say
about it, but to use it on this side of the pond makes you sound like
your sending up Austin Powers. "Fuck" and "screw" sound too rude to
use with someone you really like, and the ever popular "do it," and
"hide the salami" can be confusing after a few beers. So I like
"boink" or "bonk." They sound fun, silly, and lighthearted like
"shag," but with out the crushed velvet aftertaste. But the best are
the secret codes we establish with our regular lovers, like "and what
prodigious mowing shall we make?"

Alasdair's explanation of the baseball analogy we yanks use to
describe our sexual exploits is much tamer than what I learned in the
backseat of my father's oldsmobile, but certainly more fitting with
the experiences in my cafe. For a graphic depiction of the more
traditional take on this analogy listen to "Paradise By The Dashboard
Light" from Meatloaf's first Bat Out of Hell Album (I wouldn't
necessarily buy it, but with the number of units that album continues
to sell, you might be surprized at who you might borrow it from). A
homerun is pretty obvious, but the bases are harder to pin down. They
seem to vary depending on geographic location, education, and
socio-economic background of the participants. I've even heard it
differ between the participants (The boy: "I didn't go any further
than first base, after all it was only our third date" The girl: "He
was so close to home it wasn't even funny. I guess he doesn't like
me.").

And just for the record, I love the gentle wind LP and still think
Isobel is babe. I too make passes at girls who were glasses.  With
that I bid you good weekend and

All the best
Daniel Hooper