Sinister: the zit remedy sensation is sweeping the....

Steve Kado steven.kado at xxx.ca
Fri Oct 15 13:07:52 BST 1999

vlass at interlog.com wrote:

> hello..
>
> martin brought up this subject:
> >The Kids from Degrassi Street
> and my ears perked..

as did mine!  hooray for the mighty CBC's most enduring export (with the
possible exception of glenn gould and the kids in the hall)!

like all torontonians of 'a certain age' i have much degrassi lore to
spread about thickly.  most notably i keep running into the token black
girl on the show, but i forget her real name.  also, there was a fellow
who ran for school president back when i was in grade 10 who's platform
included addressing our rotund principal exclusively as 'big poppa' and
erecting a statue of joey, wheels and snake on the front lawn of mighty
northern secondary.  the memories are just too much....does anyone
remember claude?  what a poor guy.  i don't remember for sure but i bet
he listened to alot of cure records on the show.

also, my old band King Carp used to play a reggae version of the
ZitRemedy's 'everybody's got something...' song, and a friend's punk
band used to play the degrassi themesong too.

> the show has stopped running, but the legacy lives on...

s'true.  when my friend marc and i were in france (in nice to be
precise) the two things we would watch on TV were the 8am french rap
music videos (i'm more partial to Akhenaton and IAM than i am to MC
Solar) and the poorly dubbed version of Degrassi that aired around 4pm.
something about being in the exotic land of the prisunic and pastis made
seeing a dowdy canadian 'no frills' supermarket on tv bizzarely
reassuring.  i wrote a teary letter home about the very same thing.

oh, and does anyone remember when they went to the strip club?  i think
it was the one on queen east near that mr. tasty restaurant or
something....another boffo degrassi moment.

steven kado