Sinister: High Fidelity/Stuart Murdoch

Patrick Scragg Patrick.Scragg at xxx.com
Sat Oct 16 04:20:00 BST 1999

    I've been away from the Sinister list for a quite a while
(about 3 weeks).  Good lord - What a HUGE back log of posts to read!
I was away visiting some with some friends who informed me of some
fantastic news (that is, if it's true) - Nick Horby's excellent first
novel, 'High Fidelity,' is being made into a movie - even better,
the soundtrack is to include contributions from Belle and Sebastian!
Too good to be true?  You tell me!  As I've said, I've been out
of the Sinister loop for a while, so allow me to apologize in advance
if this information is way old!

    Those of you fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to see
B&S live, your opinion is needed here as well.  A B&S fan who saw the
band in Athens, GA a year ago said that she was quite surprised to
see the band in the flesh; she described Isobel and Sarah as very
short and hefty (though sweet) - not at all like the waifish model-types
she had envisioned; Stuart D. was tall and lurpy, somewhat handsome,
while Mick, Stevie and the other guys were pretty vanilla-looking.
She was most captivated by Stuart M - who was a complete contradiction
to the notion of being "twee" - she described as him as tall and
surprisingly "buff" - like he could kick some serious idie-ass if
provoked - and not too handsome.

    W H A T?  At the time she told me this (by the way, she's a
fashion major or something) all I could picture of the band was
pro-basketball player Gheorghe Muresan on guitar, Carnie Wilson
and Mama Cass singing/playing at the sides, and out in front of
the band - Rambo or Henry Rollins with a acoustic guitar...
"Yo - we're Belle and uhhhh."

    I was fascinated by her take on the band's appearance, and
have since disproved (for the most part) her bizarre version (thanks
to the few B&S pictures on the web and in the music press)!
Those of you who have seen B&S - is their some validity to her
story? Just curious!  Please share your first impressions!
Have a great weekend!