Sinister: Harry Potter is the antichrist

James Gilmer grey7 at xxx.net
Sun Oct 17 04:36:02 BST 1999

Okay, I really do have some B&S content, but first:

People want to ban Harry Potter

    I caught the NBC national news yesterday and it seems there is a
movement (small, but still...) to ban Harry Potter books in schools and
such. For those not already members of the Dark Brotherhood of Lucifer (joke
kittlings) allow me to explain. Harry Potter books are novels written by a
rather charming seeming scottish women by the name of JK Rowling. Anywho,
Harry is a young boy going to a school of wizards and goes on many fanciful
adventures and so on. The reason for this is...are you ready for it?...these
people say Harry promotes witchcraft, drug use, satanism, and so on. All
three Harry Potter books are on the bestseller list in top spots. Teachers
say kids who have never shown an intrest in reading are picking up Harry
Potter books and loving them.  Which reminds me that as late as the 1980's
the banned-books list still existed in the US, this was a list of books that
served as a guide for what was appropriate reading material and including
such things as Wizard of OZ, NArnia, Lord of the Rings, Tom Sawyer, Catcher
in the Rye (which me Dad proudly proclaims got him in trouble and almost
caused him to be expelled for reading it in his sixth grade class), James
and the Giant Peach, etc. Sorry, just had to share that, just had to vent a
little at the stupidity and small mindedness of people. Let's move on...

Belle & Sebastian

    I have already sung the praise of my college radio station and now I
must again. While driving yesterday I was joyed to hear TBWTAS start playing
only to become dismayed when it faded out to be replaced by a news program.
Then I realized the radio station was using TBWTAS as intro and background
music for their news program. Which seems an odd choice for the news and
opinion segment but I'm not complaining...
Someone at that school must really like B&S, which is fine by me.

Jason Andreas wrote:
>It might not mean riches
>and fame, but at least, for the first time in my life, it's made me feel
>that maybe I *can* be a writer after all!

    Christ man!! Congrats are in order!!! I've just started sending stuff
off and am awaiting my rejection letters with glee...but to get published at
all? Damn fine job sir! It must be a brilliant feeling.

Cher must die
    The funniest thing about Cher...I'm in the mall last week in Sam Gooody
looking around when I overhear a trio of A&F girls of about fourteen
talking; "You know, Cher's cool and all...but she's like fourty! Isn't that
a little old to be starting your musical career?" I about hit the floor
laughing as a clerk who had heard what was said tried explaining that she'd
been in music for about three or four decades. Poor Hannah, don't worry, I'm
sure Cher has been the bane of many a good spirit.

    I always feel as I've written too much, never sure how much to impart in
these non-sensical little ramblings to my sinister brothers and sisters,
always feeling my I've rambled on too much. So I'll bid your leave now. Have
a sinister night- Jim

"And I'm up when the dawn is breaking , even though my heart is aching. I
should be drinking a toast to absent friends, instead of these comedians"-
Elvis Costello