Sinister: I'm up for "Best of" lists, plus GARBAGE and MARY JO (B&S content)

Kin WOO daftpunk at xxx.au
Sun Oct 17 07:18:56 BST 1999

Sounds like a GREAT IDEA. I for one am always up for it. Others can start
first but rest assured my "albums of the decade" will include B&S, Belly
and lots more!:)
 On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Mark Niciu wrote:
> It's me again.  Insomnia is ravaging at this wee hour of the morning.  As
> there appears to be no new Belle and Sebastian news to report and the end of
> the decade is rapidly approaching (the first that I've lived through
> cognizant of music minus any Disney tracks), is anyone up for "best of"
> lists, e.g. "Top 25 Albums of the Decade", "Top 50 Songs of the Decade",
> "Top 10 Guitarists", "Songwriters", etc.?  If anyone is interested in rating
> the best (or worst), I'm game as this should provide plenty of grist for our
> sinister mill until the release of Belle and Sebastian's new LP.  Give me a
> few days to think and I'll start off the fun with a "Top 25 Albums of the
> Decade" list.
Also does anyone know what the deal with the "Mary Jo" single is? I have
an old Select (this year) which contains an advert for "Mary jo" by B&S
but nowhere else is there a mention of this. HELP!!!:)
As one could discern from my title, this email is to recount in loving and
unneccessary detail about my going to see one of my fave bands, GARBAGE
here in Perth, W.A.:)
 Went to see Garbage (wierdly supporting the queen of YUCK that is
Alanis Morrissette) on Tuesday, which was terrific. $70 for an hour
performance (couldn't bear to stay for Alanis) is of course extremely
ridiculous, but it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and pretty worth
it I thought.
Support band Stellar sounded a lot like a rock Sneakerpimps and were
pretty non descript.
But when Shirley came on, it was so absolutely AMAZING! She seemed
slightly shorter than I'd imagined her to be but she just commandeered the
whole place with her magnetic presence. She was funny, hypnotic and great
to watch.
They played all their classics though I could have done without "Hammering
in my head" and "dumb" for "queer" and "not my idea" instead. The sound
was a perfect pitch between their dark, sinister, menacing side with their
rocking and poppy side. Loved how before "vow" they had a sample that
said, "don't you know all bad girls go to hell". Shirls even incorporated
Britney Spears "Hit Me Baby One More Time" into one of her songs! Brought
a tape recorder but unfortunately batteries didn't work- CRAP!!!:( Would
have been such a magnificent bootleg to have.
 Nearly on par with Radiohead for my fave gig ever I guess, but the fact
that Radiohead was vastly cheaper and they played for longer tip it over
in favour of the 'Head.
Afterwards, went to the side door to see if we could get a siggie
(signature) from the band. This is where the biggest letdown of the night
occurred. There were only a small bunch of us, very orderly too awaiting
the majesty of Garb's, but when they finally came out, only Shirley waved
to the fans (others ignored us!) and there was this big burly guard that
prevented us from going closer to them for an autograph. Swindled! I
thought Shirls etc would be happy to sign just a handful of autographs
since that's the impression I get from all their interviews. Instead, they
just piled into a van and waved as they drove off- BOO!!! Was hoping to
add to my collection of famous Scots autographs along with Ewan McGregor
and Teenie Fanclub!
Still had an awesome night and nothing can take away from my pleasure of
my memory of that:) (wierd sentence but nevermind!)
ok that's all folks:) Gotta run, hope to hear from some of you re: "Mary
Jo" conundrum and of course to see some "best of" lists
seeya
Kin Woo