Sinister: like telling e. e. cummings to use caps. Would he listen? No. Little n. Little o

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Sun Oct 17 23:20:12 BST 1999

The worst thing happened to me. Ok, so it wasn't THE worst since neither
fire, rabbits, midgets, or leather was involved. But it wasn't the best
thing either. Something terribly embarrassing happened to me yesterday in
which 3 people witnessed. I was hoping that it would all be forgotten and no
one would mention again. Well, of course it wasn't. Now, it was most
humiliating so I won't go into details but just know that I"m not too easily
embarrassed. Most likely because I'm so used to it - but this is horrid.
Anyway, the 2 guys who saw it will not let up. Today, I saw one and quickly
tried to leave the area before he saw me. Unfortunately, I was too late and
he latched on my arm retelling all of the events in a loud manner so
everyone could here. I walked quicker, mumbled 'that's nice - glad i could
entertain. thanks. go away.' but he kept at it. I finally ditched him, sat
down, and buried my face in my hands. That's when my mother came up to me
laughing saying how the other guy had just told her the FUNNIEST thing about
me. He said they had laughed at me for almost 2 hours and of course they're
spreading the tale. ACK! I spent the next hour plotting my demise. There
were no sharpened pencils or anything else with a point around so I was
getting creative.  Anyway, does anyone have any stories about embarrassing
things that happened to them, where they thought they were going to die but
it turned out ok? Please share them with me - I need hope and a good
chuckle.

As you can gather, I completely approve, condone, and partake in talking
about one's personal life to the list - especially if you need some place to
vent and be comforted. What else are we here for? I mean I heard this nasty
little rumor once that it was to talk about b&s but isn't that what we end
up listening to when these things happen to us? We're a community - perhaps
a family (although a strange one with a mother named Honey with over a
thousand illegitimate kiddies). We each have our own talents, gifts to the
list, problems, and so forth. In college, I assigned each of my roommates &
myself (6 total) a role like those of the abusive family - the abuser, the
lost child, the hero, the scapegoat, etc. I got labelled the scapegoat since
as one of my roommates said, "If there is something in the apartment broken,
Laura did it." (She was a sweetie. She also told one guy, who was a friend
of her boyfriend, who said he would like to go out with me even though he
had just met me, "Guys like you don't date girls like Laura." I never had
the courage to ask her what she meant). So, if any of you need a scapegoat
feel free to blame me for your problems. I'll take complete responsibility
for you failing that test, forgetting your mom's birthday, robbing the 7-11,
napalming innocent children in Asia, or wearing white after Labor Day.

Personally, I plan to inform the list if any of the following things happen
to me:
1. I marry and change my last name. After all, it would effect how I sign my
posts.
2. Become a superhero. Unless, I have to keep my identity a secret. Well I
guess most superheros do - so scratch this one.
3. Have any illicit affairs with the president or any state officials.
(However, I retain the right to cry to Barbara Walters and pose for
magazines before sharing any details with the list.)
4. Publish all of my e-mails in book form. I'm thinking deluxe,
leather-bound, limited edition. Maybe an audiotaped version where you get a
famous actor to read it, like Michelle Pfeiffer, Sandra Bullock, or maybe
even Isobel or Wynonna Ryder or Jewel or Rich Little doing an impression of
Tattoo from Fantasy Island....

However, I absolutely refuse to tell the post if I die. Sorry, it just ain't
going to happen.....

Random Thought:  Does anyone else completely love autumn? Mmmm there is
nothing about it that I do not like. The trees changing color, the briskness
of the air, the smells, the pies, the apple cider, Halloween approaching....
MMM, how could this not be your favorite season? Sorry, I just finished
making a pumpkin pie from scratch and am revelling in the season. Its the
first time I've attempted such a task and besides the fact that it looks
like Charlie Brown's Great Pumpkin Patch has been relocated to our kitchen -
it turned out well.

Ok back on task....
Sincereness personified in the form of Dan Hooper said,
>"She even told me that I was 'too perfect'."
Well, there's the problem - too much perfection. I've been accused of such
things myself. ha ha ha. To me the whole knowing someone through letters
before you actually know them has been romanticized through movies (Shop
Around the Corner, You Got Mail) and songs (Impossible Things #2). Stories
which make me sigh and get that warm fuzzy feeling like I've just drunk
spoiled milk (did that one for you, dan Ü hehe) but never seem to apply to
me.  There are some people who I adore receiving e-mails from. They never
fail to leave my face with a smile, my heart with a chuckle, and my spirit
edified. I also think that a part of us is revealed in letters that
otherwise others would be ignorant about. As John Donne said, "More than
kisses, letters mingle souls."

Well, I would like to thank you all again for all the wonderous posts that
you write. They're so intriguing, alluring, _enigmatic_ if
you will. Only once in my life have I responded to a list the way I've
responded to this one, but I've forgotten when it was or even if it was in
fact me that responded. I may not know  much, but I know that the wind sings
belle and sebastian's name endlessly, although with a slight lisp that makes
it difficult to understand if I'm standing near an air conditioner...

humiliatingly yours,

Laura

'meeting all of your Laura Llew needs since 1977'