Sinister: Attention: Those Interested in Composing "Best of..." Lists

Mark Niciu markniciu at xxx.com
Mon Oct 18 08:38:30 BST 1999

Hey y'all,

At the behest of list mummy Honey, I've decided to take my "Top..." list
requests to personal e-mail correspondence.  This should prevent clogging
the list with arguments that proceed as such: "Blur's "13" is shite.
Mogwai's "Come On Die Young" is much better because they have shirts to
prove it!"

The first list for you constructing pleasure is "The Top 15 Albums of 1999".
  Therefore, please mail a "Top 20 (N.B. 20, not 15) Albums of 1999" list
(in numerical order, of course, with "1" being the best album of the year
and "20" being the twentieth best album) to markniciu at hotmail.com before the
1 November (this deadline is flexible and may be extended depending upon the
quantity of contributions).  I will tabulate the results by assigning a
score as follows: #1 receives 20 points, #2 chalks up 19 points, #3 marks 18
points, etc.  The final results will be posted to this list; I will also
construct a web page with the results of our lists reified for all eternity
to the adulating or excoriating eyes of all Sinisterines, unbelievers, Steps
fans, etc.

A few words of interest regarding this list, and, more specifically, what
the title "Best Album of 1999" precludes from consideration.  First, only
LPs may tabulate votes; thus, any votes for Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s
"Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada", no matter how fucking top this masterpiece
is, will be for naught, as it is an EP.  Second, the album must have been
released in its country of origin in the year 1999 C.E. (or A.D., depending
upon one's devotion to a wandering, itinerant Jew who strode the earth
approximately two thousand years ago).  Therefore, any votes for Manic
Street Preachers "This is My Truth..." from U.S. fans will also be for
naught as the Welsh trio ("Richey, Richey, where are you?") released this
album in the British Isles in 1998 albeit it was released in the U.S. this
year.  As I probably will not be familiar with every item voted for in this
list, can you please do some homework and ascertain that you are voting for
an album released this year in its country of origin(or surrounding
countries, as the case may be) in 1999?  I simply don't have the time or the
patience to check every single record.

If this list is a success, viz., more than 50 respondents, the next list
will be a "Top X Reissues, EPs, Singles, etc., of 1999".  I promise that
you'll have the opportunity to vote for "Tigermilk" in this list!

Peace,
Mark