Sinister: The Pumpetus of Love

Iain McGilp u02nim at xxx.uk
Mon Oct 18 21:53:23 BST 1999

Good Moaning, (as in the English policeman from "Allo Allo")
Being a damn nice guy I felt that that I should write and
forewarn anyone planning to attend Snow Patrol's Aberdeen
gig as part of the Alternative Festival to turn up late, as
support is beng provided by the innocuous sounding but
truly horrific Needles. These perrenials of the Aberdeen
"scene" don't just stink in an ordinary sense, they really
stink. Think the 3 month old corpse of a particularly
committed Levellers fan. In a sauna.
To make matters worse they seem to believe in the "healing
and redemptive power of rock 'n' roll", which means
attempting to sound like the mAKE-UP or John Spencer Blues
Explosion. Except with Aberdonian accents. Think the John
Spencer Yeast Infection and you're moving along the right
lines.
I heard the most fantastic insult ever the other evening.
It was like a Free Jazz insult; formless and continually
evolving:
"You are such a wank Fraser. No, serious, a total wank. You
are such a wank you have a poster of Keith Chegwin on the
wall of your flat. In the nuddy. With his knob slapped out
on a table. There he is, with his chap in one hand, giving
you the thumbs up with the other. And its autographed."
I meant at some point during this incoherent heap of
gibberish to mention Alexander Spence, The Nectarine No.9,
Tommy Sheridan, Alasdair Gray, Claudio Caniggia and even
Belle and Sebastian (crazy or what?). Oh well..
Good lovin' all round,
Iain McG.
Iain McGilp
u02nim at abdn.ac.uk