Sinister: Book banning/Degrassi Jr. High/etc.

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Mon Oct 18 19:41:26 BST 1999

In a message dated 10/18/99 2:26:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stray4f at prodigy.net writes:

<< There's a difference between not
 stocking certain books in grade school libraries and actually "banning"
 them, and your misconceptions of the South are just as ill-informed and
 obnoxious as you accuse them of being. >>

I must agree.  I had to do a paper for this in college and books aren't
really banned anymore in the conventional method.  Granted, taking a book out
of the curriculum is relatively "banning" it to that segment of the
population at that time, which still sucks (plus, this happens most often in
high schools not grade schools, providing an interesting entendre: you can
operate a two ton motor vehicle but you can't choose what to put in your
head).  Ulysees, by James Joyce, was actually BANNED, in that the possession
of it constituted a crime, but that was before 1920 no that doesn't really
apply.  The last book that really got the shit end of the stick (and still
does) is our beloved Catcher in the Rye, which is prohitibited in more
schools based on religious objections than any other.  Of course, its never
been outlawed like Ulysees and I had to read it and dissect it in AP English
in high school two years ago.
And as far as the South goes, Brandt has a point that southern states ban
alot of books (not to mention start a furor over the things they can't ban),
but then again Ohio, Pennsylvania and California take the most books out of
curriculums and libraries out of any states in the Union.  Two are above the
Mason Dixon line, and California might as well be its own nation.
Yes, Pat Robertson does suck and so does the Christian Coalition, although
I'm not saying Christianity itself sucks because...well...I'm a Christian.
Its just sad that people have co-opted an entire religion to enfore their
moral codes.  Parasites always kill their host and sadly Mr. Robertson is
headed down this same path.  Not like he's a big believer in things natural
anyway...
Adios

Steve C.