Sinister: woefully off topic: banned films

andrew dean koogydelbbog at xxx.com
Tue Oct 19 10:27:17 BST 1999

someone:
>You want to examine a country/culture that in recent
>times actually bans artwork because it's citizens
>supposedly couldn't handle it? Then meet me in London
>to watch Clockwork Orange, the Exorcist, and The Evil
>Dead. Oh wait, you can't....Those films are
>banned/illegal.

er, wrong, wrong and wrong i'm afraid (and that's
'its' rather than 'it's'). the exorcist can be hired
from pretty much any video shop in england these days
and they're talking about making sell-through copies
available next year.

you can buy copies of the evil dead anywhere, albeit
the version with a few cuts.

a clockwork orange is slightly different in that it
wasn't banned but stanley kubrik himself withdrew
permission for it to be shown or distributed in
england (a lot to do with his family getting death
threats when it was shown). there's talk of it being
made available again now that he's dead. besides,
french ports sell PAL copies of it and i've seen it
broadcast on satellite tv in german.

the bbfc has become a lot less rigid in the last year
of so. the bloke in charge (furman?) retired and, even
as part of his leaving speach, spoke out against the
rigidity of the system they had to work within. last
week, i believe, a french film ('romance') showing an
erect penis was cleared for distribution, a first for
england.

speaking of stanley kubrik, the new mogwai single is
rather good. mogwai are from scotland. so are belle
and sebastian. good eh?

(which reminds me, the techno pagan octopus bloke from
last night (who'd've been better if he actually had 8
limbs) rhymed 'buddha' (pronounced 'boodah') with
'dude, eh?'. genius.)

speaking of erect penises... oh, i'd better not...

funny about all the trouble with the Sensations thing
in new york. there was trouble in england when it was
on here only over the portrait of a serial child
killer made out of handprints of children rather than
a religious icon painted in dung. i guess we've just
as many bugs up our arses, they're just different
bugs.

sorry about the off-topicness. i'd've tacked this onto
the end of last night's (perfectly on-topic) post if
i'd've read the doofus' post at the time.

could've been worse, i could've told you my 1000
favourite records of the nineteen hundreds.

and apologies if tag's already written this post (only
more eloquently) but i'm a digestive.

andy

=====
andrew dean (koogydelbbog at yahoo.com)