Sinister: Cheese and cucumber

Kevan Cooke fatslug at xxx.com
Wed Oct 20 13:53:51 BST 1999

Hello folks,

Genevieve wanted to know about 60s French pop:
The best 60s French pop singers were Jacques Brel (Belgian) and
Charles Aznavour (Armenian).  Serge Gainsbourg (Russian) was
a favourite around here having not only recorded some very fine
records of his own, but also having written songs for Francoise
Hardy (Belgian), France Gall (Luxembourg), Jane Birkin (English),
Johnny Halliday (Swiss) and others (Dutch).  Other favourites
include Jacques Dutronc (Australian), Jeanne Moreau (Korean),
Brigitte Bardot (Alien), and Nana Mouskouri (French).  Hope this
helps.

I've been away for a few weeks.  Did I miss anything apart from
the sitars and the excessive swearing directed at Tim?

Talking of Tim, I spent a week or so in San Francisco, once home
to the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and the whole hippy
movement, but more notable these days for being home to Sinister
Julie Smith, who lurketh too much methinks.

We saw the Magnetic Fields while i was there.  They're rather
good, but Megan has probably told you that.  And the new (triple)
album is extremely pleasant listening, but the Duke has probably
told you that too.

I took some books with me to read on the plane, but luckily I
managed to keep them concealed for the duration of my stay in
America.  Otherwise who knows what the angry mobs of Southern
baptist preachers that congregate on every corner would have
done?

As it turned out I didn't read the books anyway - the plane was
equipped with a high tech entertainment system featuring Audio
Channel 8 which played no less than three different tracks by
the John Schroeder Orchestra.  This is a good thing, if you were
wondering.  Not so good was the choice of inflight movies...
Austin Powers, The Mummy or Notting Hill.  There's never a censor
around when you need one is there?

Bye,
Kevan