Sinister: Gel�ia Geral

Sarah Clarke starpiekat at xxx.uk
Fri Oct 22 16:16:50 BST 1999

Dear you lot,

Whoops, I've just realised that you need to do some
work at a university too. Dammit. Other people have
realised this, as I realised when I got emailed two
essays. Our teacher is a big fan of the "Inter-Net",
and "Electronic E-Mail". He sounds like he is from The
American Deep South (as opposed to the "Deep South of
England" where I am located) too, where lots of books
are censored. Best not tell him we get to read NOAM
CHOMSKY books in politics. I bet they're banned too.

Jason Andreas - how can you have spent your student
loan if you don't have a bank account? Obviously if
you haven't got an overdraft you haven't got a bank
account from which you need to pay your SLC cheque
into... that confuses me. I got my NEW AND IMPROVED
bank account today, I expect my student loan cheque to
arrive in 2003.

Andy asked if Da Doo Ron Ron was any good, and I refer
you to the summary conjured up upon the night :
"Its like Night of the Living Dead, but with boogie".

I feared for my life, being in the corner where the
Big and Clever dancers were spinning about and
generally showing off. No-one spun on their head
though. But they were all veeery sweaty. Chris Geddes
has cut his hair off and looks like a skinnier Graham
from that Blur. Ooh, and Helen Shapiro was played at
one point, and I had to dance to it by myself. I
define Cool.

Dr Pants:
<<Wasn't the future supposed to be all about
narrow-casting, with the media catering for finer and
finer niche-markets?>>

Ah, as a dirty old man once said, there's "no future".
Aha! I have found that in Lunding town theres lots and
lots of niche-markets catered for and no-one seems to
notice it. Track & Field, a B&S themed night? Madness.
Theres probably a place for ska as well. Gal Costa and
Caetano Veloso were being Brazillian as well in some
place. I like Gal Costa bucket loads me. And today in
Kingston, there were two tramps howling "Wichita
Lineman"! That was ace! I want to be a tramp when I
grow up. A Japanese singing kung-fu monk meerkat tramp
though. Damn, but I'd smell. Ok I'd prefer to be a
higher class of Japanese singing kung-fu monk meerkat.
Now THERES a niche market.

One day, the media may cater a publication just for
me. But I expect not. Hey, isn't this Sinister list
our like, own niche-media, man? Text-based of course
with the opportunity to become multimedia when we
organise and create....

Speaking of which, I have decided to create something
to rival Papercutz, and
Tigerthingiewhateverthehellitwas that Lesley Jo did
(which I saw a copy of the other day) and perhaps even
the New Musical Express. My friend Ross is doing a
Darkcore fanzine called "Schmerzen Horen" which will
include an article dissecting the Pink Floyd
influences in Trout Reznors music. I'm going to write
for it as well. About... Comet Gain. I'll tell him
that they really do work their
Kraftwerk/SchoenLapBarfMusik/Avant-Rock influences to
the max....

Mmmm, really tonal work with samplers...

So now I'm going to do and read a chapter on reader
response criticsm vs new criticsm (I think). Soon I
will tell you exactly how HARD it is writing an essay,
and I will be a commplete and utter student. Even
though I'm finding most students to be total tossers!
Cheers! I think I must really be 90. Like Joe 90.
Doh...

Bye,
Love Sarah

=====