Sinister: Attention: Ms. Other Music in NYC today around 5 P.M.

Mark Niciu markniciu at xxx.com
Sat Oct 23 04:54:21 BST 1999

I may be condemned to the loser list after this post, but something splendid
happened to me today.  I was meandering in the Village searching for some
tunes for the weekend and intent on purchasing Felt's "Forever Breathes the
Lonely Word".  The only record store in the Village to sell this record, to
my knowledge, was Other Music (15 E 4th St.) at the expensive price of
approximately $25.00.  Suffice it to say, I do not typically have this
quantity of dough to spend on a single record, but I made the exception for
Lawrence.  Regardless, I was sojourning in Other Music's La Decadanse
(whatever the hell that means!) section which contains Felt's records, but
"Forever Breathes the Lonely Word" was nowhere in sight.  I was distraught
but reluctantly continued to browse among the other Felt releases in stock.

Next, I heard an Other Music employee directioning a customer in the
direction of the Felt section.  But I continued to browse with another set
of hands to contend with in the tight confines of Other Music.  I thought it
polite to initiate conversation with my fellow Felt fan and said, "So, you
like Felt too?"  I looked up expecting a reply, and, to my delight, I gazed
upon one of the cutest members of the opposite sex that I've ever had the
pleasure to see.  She had dark brown locks fashioned into a twee bob haircut
with bangs to about to the middle of her forehead (incidentally, girls, I
think that bangs are absolutely darling and it's a shame that so few of you
currently sport this haircut ) and wearing a sky blue jumper beneath a
brownish wool coat.  And she had the most gorgeous blue eyes that I've ever
laid eyes upon.  Eyes that instantly make you forget the question that you
had just asked and, evidentally, have the ineffable power to make me prattle
about Felt incessantly, as I proceeded to spew comment after comment about
every Felt item in stock, e.g. "Absolute Classic Masterpieces" vols. I and
II, "Crumbling the Antiseptic Beatuty/The Splendour of Fear", and "Me and a
Monkey on the Moon."  I recommended which albums to buy and in which order,
the quality (or lack thereof) of Lawrence's vocals on each release, the
Deebank Felt vs. the Duffy Felt, and Felt's influence on subsequent groups
like Belle and Sebastian.

In retrospect, I haven't the slighest indication whether my erudition
impressed her or created the impression that I'm merely a pretentious prig.
Whether it was apparent to Ms. Other Music or not, my loquacity regarding
Lawrence and crew was directly attributable to the fact that I could think
of absolutely nothing else to blab about.  Nonetheless, at my request, she
purchased "Absolute Classic Masterpieces" vol. 2, as she had previosuly
heard "Strange Idol Patterns and Other Short Stories" and seemed to like
Lawrence's poppier side.  After her purchase, we parted company and
exchanged good-byes.  I concluded our dialogue with the cheezy line "It was
nice to meet another Felt fan".  A sure way to pick-up the ladies, eh?

Nevertheless, we never exchanged names and, immediately after she left, I
thought of a thousand ways to continue our discussion, e.g. "If you have an
e-mail, I can mail you the addresses of web sites with Felt info."  But I am
such a dim-witted goofball that this didn't even occur to me at the time!

To cut to the chase, even if you've read little to none of the above, please
read this.  Ms. Other Music is probably an NYU student, and, when I inquired
about how she heard of Lawrence and company, she mentioned that her friend
owned "Strange Idols Pattern...".  Therefore, if you go to NYU or live in
the Village, and a friend fits the description mentioned above and comes
bragging about the brilliance of Martin Duffy's keyboarding on "Absolute
Classic Masterpieces" vol. 2., please forward her this e-mail!  But if that
twee Felt kitten is reading this post, then, if you're interested in me or
just Lawrence, please respond by email (markniciu at hotmail.com)!  And, in
case your wondering why in the world I am posting this to Belle and
Sebastian lists, many new fans have discovered Felt through the influence of
Belle and Sebastian's lyrics and liner notes.  Chances are that if Ms. Other
Music's friend likes Felt, she probably listens to B&S as well and,
fortuitously, is a member of a B&S list.

If you've read all this, then you have my sincere apologies for the exposure
to my histrionics.

"Shyness can stop you from doing all the things in life that you'd like to."
  Morrissey

Mark