Sinister: A year in the life

Niceaction at xxx.com Niceaction at xxx.com
Sun Oct 24 18:28:31 BST 1999

Well kids.
It's been very nearly a year since i travelled from here in Brighton over to
New York to see our own B&S play...  twice...
This also makes it almost one year since i posted to the list.  To celebrate
this fact that i am one of the biggest lurkers here, i thought i would write
to you all.
What do i write about ???  The urge to shoot Struan unless he gets his arse
in gear with new stuff ???  a funny story about what happened to me on the
bus ???  tales of why i hate my boss so much ???
Nope.  this year has been the best year of my life.  So delete now if you
dont want to know some of the things that has made me so happy.

I've seen the emergence of new bands who have made me think music hasn't gone
to poo.  Bands such as Ooberman, Godspeed you Black Emperor, Tim Keegan and
Departure Lounge and Spearmint.  I've also seen Hefner become one of my
favourite's.

I read Young and Foolish - a personal pop odyssey - by Alistair Fitchitt,
which inspired me to seek out such bands as the Spinines, Eggs, Tsunami and
the Working Holiday / Simple Machines various artists cd's.  And also gave me
intellectual reasons to tell people why The Go Betweens were always better
than The Smiths.

Ive seen internet shopping get easier, cheaper and safer.  allowing me to
purchase the previous items.

I attended a weekend holiday camp which was full with people who have the
same interests, and showed bands which will never again play the same venue
again.

I attended a B&S picnic for the first time.

I saw the re-release of Tigermilk, of which i also purchased an original copy.

I got a new job.

I've seen the Sinister List grow from 400 to 1147

i have allowed myself to grow my sideburns to a length which is completely
stupid and almost criminal.

i've seen the Field Mice get a double CD re-release, making it the best
record of last year by a mile.

i had tears in my eyes when i first heard Slow Graffiti.

I've seen Belle and Sebastian win a Brit Award and really piss off my friends
and Pete Waterman.

I saw a new Star Wars film at the cinema, and also saw Life is Beautiful.
The best film about the war to come out of Italy.

I saw Robert Forster and Grant McLennan share the same stage together, making
that the best gig.

and last but not least..   i fell in love.

Until next year

Jamie