Sinister: subject? there is none.

kerry zutroy at xxx.org
Sun Oct 24 19:52:46 BST 1999

so my weekend is coming to a close. my parents have gone back to chicago,
the surprise party was a success (tho not a surprise, sadly, i'll get into
that later), my parents bought me books and music because alas i have not
the cash to do it myself, i didn't see seth, and now i have work to do.

my parents were a hit with the people i live with. never in previous years
have i sat down and talked with my parents and the people i live with.
either i don't like the people i live with or they're not around. but last
night we sat about in my living room chatting with my housemates and some
of their friends for an hour or so. they all thought my parents were great
and wished they'd stuck around for the party. apparently when my folks were
leaving last night (i was up in my room at the time) my dad saw everyone
putting out the liquor and said "do you have any jagermeister?" strange, i
didn't know my dad liked jagermeister. he may have been joking. enough
about my 'rents.

the party was good. apparently the boy whose birthday it was (mat) knew
about it ahead of time. his ex girlfriend who had been invited emailed him
last week saying she was sorry that she wouldn't be able to make it to his
big party on saturday. d'oh. but the stripper was a surprise, and that's
good. she was very nervous beforehand, but loosened up once she started
dancing, and even danced with mat's girlfriend (who hired her) for a bit.
it was all very sexy and mat was doing his best not to look at her boobies.
i danced a lot last night, probably mostly because it was my own house so i
could smoke inside while i danced, etc. there were lots of people there we
didn't know, and that was unfortunate. and they seemed really intent on
grinding up onto me, but what the hell? i'll never see them again.
(knowning my luck they'll start visiting my house a lot or something).
later in the evening my friend kim says to me that she noted i had been
dancing a lot, in particular with this one boy dressed in red, so she asked
this boy's friend if he was a good egg or not. she told me apparently he's
a very nice boy. i laughed, and she said she was just looking out for me.
very nice, but i had no intentions of doing anything more than dance with
this kid.
and one moment was so perfect i immortalized it in an ink polaroid, which i
will now type here:

possibly how i'll remember this semester best, this one was taken at mat's
21st birthday party. it's all of the girls i live with, dancing and
bouncing and singing to "video killed the radio star." trite, i know, but
truly the highlight of the girls' portion of the evening. we're standing in
a circle, laura in the black shirt and red-black leopard print vinyl pants,
cat in the tight black dress, kim in the black top and red skirt, me in a
black strappy tank top and blue pinstriped pants with my studded leather
belt.  it's a special occasion when kim decides to dance, and there we are,
all dancing together and laughing.
---
so that's that. the night wasn't all fun, though. i learned something i had
suspected but didn't want to know. see, there's this boy that visits here
on weekends a lot. he graduated from UMass last year, and he's mat's
closest friend from vermont, so on the weekends he comes here and parties
with us and stays in our guest bedroom (third floor landing filled with a
mattress and blankets). anyway, last night cat told me he was "really hot"
for me, and it made me super uncomfortable. i'd suspected it for a while,
but since i'm not attracted to him i just ignored it. but it became very
hard to last night when he insisted on putting his arm around my waist. he
even asked me how i "handle being such a hot girl." flattering, yes, but
also very very very uncomfortable for me. i know this kid, and i don't want
to hurt his feelings. cat told me to hurt his feelings, but that's because
she's mad at him. i don't want to do that. but i think by the end of the
evening he'd gotten the idea even if just from me avoiding his roaming
hands . . .

oh, but that's enough of that. i've probably taken up an entire digest with
my ramblings. if any of you care, the music i bought yesterday was (in
alphabetical order): bis "social dancing," built to spill "keep it like a
secret," merle haggard "16 biggest hits" (shut up, you're not allowed to
make fun of me. i just bought it for "okie from muskogee", anyway. besides,
i've been on a country kick and they didn't have any tammy wynette at the
record store), lamb "fear of fours," and tindersticks "simple pleasure"
(finally! i've never had the $25 to spend on it,  since there's no american
release i had to get it on import). so that's the music i bought. the only
books i bought were a replacement copy of _the joke_ by milan kundera and
the new translation of _laughable loves_, also by kundera. i'd been waiting
for a new translation of that for years, so i didn't buy it because i
wanted to make sure it was as accurate as possible. and finally they made a
new one. yay! i know what i'll be doing when i'm done with my work this
afternoon (reading _laughable loves_, for those of you who didn't get
that). unfortunately _nalda said_ wasn't available at the bookstore in
town, but they said they'll be getting it in eventually. good.

haven't really gotten to listen to my new music much, though. i'm stuck on
listening to built to spill's "twin falls idaho" repeatedly. i just like
the reference to 7up (the game, not the soft drink). it's too sweet (the
song, not the drink).

-kerry

p.s.: nobody ever touched my thumb when we played 7up in elementary school.
it still makes me sad to think about it.

"Thank goodness for all of the things you are not
thank goodness you're not something someone forgot,
and left all alone in some punkerish place
like a rusty tin coat hanger hanging in space."
                    -dr. seuss, "did i ever tell you how lucky you are?"