Sinister: My mind will be made up for me...baby's waiting for me there

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Mon Oct 25 23:57:38 BST 1999

I followed the unbelievably amazing Superdrag during their last three stops
of their East Coast tour and I was blown away (both methaphorically and
sonically).  If any of you either haven't checked them out before or if
you've written them off after "Sucked Out" was played to death on MTV a few
years back, I can't urge you enough to track down either of their Elektra
records, Regretfully Yours, or Head Trip In Every Key.  Dare I say they are
our generation's Beatles?  Yes, I dare.
Ahhh...sadly I saw the most incredibly beautiful girl at the Baltimore stop
on their tour but I hadn't the nerve to approach her.  She was standing at
stage left, a short pixie-ish girl with more than a passing resemblance to a
slimmer, dark haired Isobel, miming the words to pure pop perfection and
occassionally smiling at the girl standing next to her (now I know Isobel
isn't the most liked person on this list, but dammit I fell in love you
didn't so don't play that game).  It was like that scene in Wayne's World
where the room turns glittery and Dreamweaver starts playing, only thankfully
the club soundman refrained from crushing my sanity.  I pointed her out to my
friend who said I should just go talk to her, but she was with some nerd so I
said I'd wait until he left, which unfortunately turned out to be at the end
of the show.  In hindsight I should have caught up to her before she left the
club but what can I do now?  The show was fricking amazing and I got to hang
out with the band afterwards but all I keep thinking about was how bad I
wished I had any guts whatsoever.   There's this line in this book called
Cold Mountain where one character says to another "You know you really don't
need her, you just want her" and the guy says back "The only thing I know is
that I don't want to wake up tommorrow wishing I had more nerve tonight."
Evidently that one went right over my head.
Anyway, like I said I never said anything and she didnt go to the show in
Delaware the next night so unfortunately my chance at eternal happiness was
pissed away yet again.  If anyone on this list has the foggiest notion of who
I'm speaking of, for all that is holy and pure I hope you'll mail me with the
411.  Maybe I'll see her at another show really soon, and maybe I'll actually
say something.  One of these days I'll learn...

Steve C.