Sinister: Revenge of the lawn

Craig Podd cmpodd at xxx.com
Tue Oct 26 13:42:11 BST 1999

Hello everyone,

I have to start by saying i don't agree with Nick about Morvern Callar.  I
thought it was a great book, and so were Alan Warners other efforts come to
think of it - These Dememented Lands and The Sopranos. I think they are
making the Sopranos into a film (its nothing to do with that programme on
channel 4!) or did i just make that up?

I've just finished reading a book of short stories called Revenge of the
Lawn by Richard Brautigan which i also recommend to anyone on the list who
hasn't read it.  Its great to just carry around everywhere you go because
the stories are so short that you will be able to read a whole one in any
slight break you might have.  I keep meaning to send my nominations for
Laura Llews Litarory list but i never seem to get around to it.  I definitly
will do soon!

I had a shock when I read Kevin Parkers message saying he is from Shrewsbury
- a fellow Salopian who likes Belle and Sebastian - I never thought i would
see the day! Shame about Shrewsbury Town football club though, look at us
languishing third from bottom of the third division.  I always wondered what
it would be like to support a team that gets relegated to the conference, i
might be about to find out.

I read a funny story in the Guardian the other day.  It said that a man in
Brazil who was in massive debt chopped his own hand off to claim insurance
money.  He did this by telling the police that while he was on his way to
buy an ice cream, a gang attacked him, chopping his hand off with an axe.

However, police became suspicious because they could not understand why the
man would want ice cream on a cold winter night, brazilian gangs tend to use
guns rather than axes, and the man could not explain where he had got a
cloth from to wrap the hand in.

So the man addmitted that he had in fact paid his mate 100 dollars to chop
his hand off.  However, i thought the best bit was a quite from the mans
wife who said that: "It was a stupid thing to do.  We are still in debt but
now he only has one hand."

It made me laugh anyway!  You would think he would think up a decent story
if he was going to chop his hand off!

Anyway, i think i've probably been going on for far too long now, so i must
go and do some work

Bye!
Craig