Sinister: Scenester in denial

marcan at xxx.edu marcan at xxx.edu
Tue Oct 26 14:24:28 BST 1999

Hello all-

Attempt one at sending this last night failed, so here goes attempt #2.

I just returned from the wonderful Stereophonics show at the
lovely Boston Paradise club. I saw an old friend outside of the club after
the show and talked with her for the first time in ages. She's a fellow BU
student, and has been a good friend to me these past 2 years, but for some
reason, this semester she's been blowing me off. Tonight, she ended our
conversation with the statement "I hate scenester kids like you." This
really upset me and got me to do a lot of thinking on the cold walk home.
Is there something wrong with introducing yourself to people you see on a
near-weekly basis at parties, record stores, or shows? I knew very few
when I arrived in Boston, so if I hadnt learned to overcome my fear of
talking to random people, I'd still be sitting in my room all night
playing computer games. I dont consider these people close friends,
although I will admit that a few of them have become really good friends
of mine (hi Teri) through the years. Or is it not that that makes one a
scenester? Is it because my tastes in music have evolved over the years?
I'll admit, 4 years ago I spent my days skateboarding and listening to too
much of the local ska and punk bands, but I feel that that has shaped and
molded me to who I am today. I dont deny ever listening to any of that,
and there are a few bands that I still play and go see when they come to
town. Does that make me a scenester? And now dress. So my taste in clothes
has changed over the year. Where I grew up in CT you look either 2 ways:
ghetto or prep. I came to Boston and realized that there is more than
that, and over the years have come to prefer to tapered polyster Levis to
the khakis of past, youth L t-shirts to the size L skate company shirts of
past, etc. Is maturation in any way bad? I'm still the same person, I
havent adopted some cocky attitude in the process (although I joke around
with a rock star attitude at points). So after writing this, I cant
determine why she would hate a person for any of those attributes. Maybe
I'm defining scenester wrong, or maybe she's just jealous. I dont know.
All I do know is that it hurts to lose someone that was once a close
friend.

Sorry for that rant, but feel free to provide any insight.

On another note, it is nice to see that some people on the list are
getting into bands such as Rainer Maria and Joan of Arc. I'm not a big
Rainer Maria fan, but I do really enjoy Joan of Arc and the other bands
that Tim Kinsella has been involved with. I cant see at all how theyd be
related to Belle and Sebastian, but they are quite interesting and do a
great job at playing a very unique style of music. I saw them live this
summer and recommend their concerts to any who havent seen them.

My good friend Matt Sbardella, who is also on this list, yet I've never
seen post (hi Matt!) recently got me into a rather good Australian band
and I was curious if anyone else was into them. They're called the
Lucksmiths and they will be touring the US soon, so if they're coming to
your town, do check them out. They're a pretty much acoustic trio with
beautiful tales of rainy days and barroom love. Do check them out if
you've got the chance.

Well, I have work at 8 am and a midterm to study for, so I shall be off.

Cheers.

 -Nick