Sinister: the world is as soft as lace

Steven whatev at xxx.com
Fri Oct 29 19:59:22 BST 1999

Hi All,
    I was driving in my car today on my way to an appointment for my new job
as a massage therapist. Yes, I'm no longer the boy who sells arab straps,
for those keeping track. But don't worry, I'll still let you all know
whenever there's a mention of Belle and Sebastian in any porno mags I happen
to come across.:)  It's an absolutely gorgeous day for a drive and I was
listening to some Felt live stuff(thanks richard). And it got me to
thinking....
    My obsession with Felt started way back when I was just a little pup. I
was maybe a freshmen in high school and I used to religiously watch MTV's
120 minutes because I knew they might play The Smiths or one of those other
bands I loved but nobody else I knew even heard of. I used to watch the
videos and daydream about wearing all black clothes and wearing my hair in a
funny do(those things didn't come for a couple of years.) Anyways...one
night they played a video by this band Felt, who I had never heard of. I
remember there was this guy wearing black clothes and he had on this round
black hat with a wide brim, I remember him sitting or standing on some
stairs singing and he just had this look on his face I can still remember to
this day. Does anyone know the video I'm talking about? I'd be eternally
grateful if I know which song it was for, as I don't even remember. I was
never able to find any records of theirs or any mention of them in any of
the magazines I read.
    Well...things happened and the years went by with many records bought in
the meantime, but alas, no Felt records to be found. Then one day I decided
to get my computer out of the closet and get on this internet thing people
were talking about. I joined up on the indiepop-list and heard a great deal
about Belle and Sebastian. This was right when the Lazy Line Painter Jane ep
came out so I bought it to check it out. I immediately bought Sinister and
fell in love. You all know how that goes. As you know in the liner notes of
said cd was a mention of that Felt band. I remembered that video from oh so
long ago and thought if these guys like 'em I've got to try and find
something by them. Thanks to the wonders of "the internet" I was able to get
an lp of theirs, and fell in love again. I feel like I owe it all to Belle
and Sebastian, and every time I listen to my Felt lp's I say a little thank
you to them.
    Then I met up with this little list we're all on. Besides the day to day
enjoyment of the actual list, I've gotten a great deal more from it. I'm now
a full fledged live show bootleg trader. I owe it all to that guy who taped
the New York shows("if they play reel around the fountain I'll shit") and
them made an offer to tape them for anyone who sent him blank tapes. I
didn't know people taped shows like that let alone made copies and traded
for other ones. Now I've got quite a nice little collection. If it weren't
for this list I can't imagine I'd even have known about B&S coming to the
states. I never would have been able to travel to Chicago to see them. I'm
sure I don't have to tell you how grateful I am to the list for that. I've
still not actually met anyone on the list, but have emailed with two others
in the Cleveland area, I'm sure we'll meetup eventually. And for all these
things and more, I'd like to say a little thank you to our listmummy.

take care,
Steven