Sinister: let me in, it's cold outside

Archel1978 at xxx.com Archel1978 at xxx.com
Sat Oct 30 12:49:30 BST 1999

***************************
i originally sent this message yesterday, but i'm egotistical enough to think
that it warranted retrieving from my sentmail to post again.  things to add
though: what a lovely thing by chris and struan!  i'm so looking forward to
hearing more about richard's 'celebrity lifestyle' - what next, exclusive
pictures of him on the arm of anna friel?  (who, by the way, was asked out by
one of my best friends while they were growing up together in oldham.  she
said no.)  and as for struan offering advice on how to be a student, i just
wish he'd been a year earlier...
***************************
oh, the irony.  i return, and the list is silenced.  so who knows if anyone
will read this.  but hey, recently i've got unpleasantly used to walking in
in the middle of tense situations, mostly caused by me.

it would be nice if i could just breeze back into sinisterworld and instantly
lift everyone's spirits with wit and sweetness.  (i wasn't joking about being
egotistical.)  but any attempt at those things is rather hindered by a)
becoming newly single (last week) and b) returning to the ranks of the
unemployed (next week).

q. why do writers never look out the window in the morning?
a. because then they'd have nothing to do in the afternoon.

i have decided to restyle myself from being just a lazy graduate to being a
lazy writer.  you still do nothing, but it's a higher class of nothing.
there's a poem by miroslav holub about being a poet, it's a kind of socratic
dialogue in fact, which comes to the rather harsh conclusion that you're only
a poet when you're actually physically writing a poem.  at least, if i
understood it right.  god knows what you are the rest of the time then, a
literal non-entity i suppose.  still, i'd rather be that than a management
consultant.

adverts keep extorting me to enter the 'dynamic world of media sales'.  i
used to think this meant doing a paper round, but now i suspect it's
something even less fulfilling.

b&s content: i was listening to TBWTAS on my walkman the other day when the
batteries started to run down in the middle of 'is it wicked'.  instant
improvement!  it was sombre and moving, and isobel sounded like helen shapiro
instead of an asthmatic on helium.

i finally bought 'breaking god's heart' yesterday - retail therapy has never
been so productive.  so i have *something* to thank my ex for, i suppose.

next week is my last in london, for the moment at least, so if anyone wants
to meet up please get in touch.

all my love (no longer any left for a certain boy living in the north of
england, where i hope he perishes at the beaks of the york university geese
(who are on my side since i promised to bring them south before the summer
cull begins).  did i say that?  i meant 'let's still be friends',
obviously...)

archel xxx

*********
Rachel Playforth