Sinister: My recommendations: Godspeed You Black Emperor! and Weezer

Mark Niciu markniciu at xxx.com
Fri Oct 29 07:44:50 BST 1999

ZvoRuna,

You requested recommendations from the wide world of sinister land.  Two
recommendations that I offer for your listening pleasure are Godspeed You
Black Emperor! and Weezer.  These aforementioned groups sound about as
different as one can possibly imagine, but they (with Belle and Sebastian)
represent the best music, in my humble opinion, to arise in the last five
years.  But if you don't mind reading paeans of the highest order, may I
state some reasons why I request these two?

Godspeed You Black Emperor! are the best group that I've encountered this
year.  Their sound is an ineffable amalgam of Richard Wagner, the Who, and,
on occasion, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.  However, a better description of their
brilliance is that they provide the soundtrack for the apocalypse.  The nine
members of GYBE!'s live performances include five guitarists (3
six-stringers and 2 bassists), two standing percussionists, a cellist, and a
violinist.  Suffice it to say, the five guitars create a soundscape that
crescendos (and diminuendos) to unparalleled degrees in the history of music
(only Richard Wagner and, more recently, Mogwai offer suitable comparisons).
  The percussionists typically begin at pianississimo volumes and
imperceptibly build to fucking break the roof of the venue or blast a
stereo, replete with marching beats, an incessant crash cymbal and a bass
drum that seems to blast through your chest with every stroke.  Last but not
least, the cellist and violinist appear to be Julliard's brilliant but rowdy
rejects that complement and drive GYBE!'s timbre into uncharted regions that
Beethoven could only dream about.  I would purchase GYBE!'s EP "Slow Riot
for New Zero Kanada" before obtaining the LP "f#a# infinity" as the EP
contains their best track to date, viz., "Blaise Bailey Finnegan III", and
the drum-laden "Moya" that sends quivers through my stomach at the final
crescendo.  However, I don't seek to give you the impression that "f#a#
infinity" is pants; to wit, it may be the best LP of 1998 (including Belle
and Sebastian's "The Boy with the Arab Strap").  However, to novel ears, it
may seem tedious at times building to crescendo and the frequent drum loops
and other miscellaneous noises, e.g. train sounds, bagpipes, and drone
chants, may initially be an unpalatable morsel in one's musical mouth.

Now to change my direction entirely, allow me to deliver a panegyric to my
favorite American pop band, those catchy-as-a-cold-standing-
butt-naked-in-the-Antarctic dorks from California, Weezer.  They only have
two albums, the self-titled release in 1994 and 1996' "Pinkerton", but for
the amount of material that they have, to put it bluntly, there is no better
pop band ever to grace the earth.  Only Felt and Belle and Sebastian offer
suitable comparisons.  And, speaking of Felt, I think that there are
tremendous similarities between Weezer and the Lawrence-led Birminghamians.
Just as Felt is post-Sex Pistols British art pop that emphasizes punk's
melodic dimension, Weezer is post-Nirvana American punk that exploits
melodies pervasive in the early stages of "alternative" (as well as 1950s
pop, but that's another story!).  In addition, Lawrence of Felt and Rivers
Cuomo of Weezer leave no doubt who is in control of their respective groups.
  Both maintain firm reigns upon their band's sound, and both have had
members of their groups leave due to this fact (Maurice Deebank of Felt and
Matt Sharp of Weezer, now with the Rentals).  However, both are absolute
geniuses (and Rivers is truly a brilliant man as well - he graduated with a
B.A. from Harvard in English) when it comes to sculpturing pop masterpieces.
  I would start with Weezer's self-titled album, which features "Buddy
Holly" - their biggest hit in the U.S. so far and, with its parody of Happy
Days, it may be the best video I have seen.  However, their second album
"Pinkerton" is lyrically different, as virtually every song is about foibles
and failings with the opposite sex, but the power pop is still there in
spades.  And there is no album that I have been awaiting more than Weezer's
forthcoming third album.  Christ, it's been a long time!

Hope that helps and thanks for reading,
~~M