Sinister: Quien es? Es Juanita

Mark Casarotto Mark at xxx.com
Wed Sep 1 14:25:53 BST 1999

I am way late cos I've been on me hols, but perusing the last 9 sinister
digests, here is my 16 shillings, 11 pence and a farthing's'th on just what
the HECK has been going on.

Stevie Jackson would be a Chomp. Stuey M would be a finger of fudge. Sister
Disco would be a king-size yorkie with extra spunk.

After Chris's Ailsa Drive revelation (and revelations is what he's
toppermost at. Keep up your revelations, Chris!), Vicky and I actually saw
the famous Ailsa Craig on our tour of Scotland. And the famous Ailsa too,
which was obviously a highlight.

Nickb wrote, and props to him for it, "What're you into?  What do you look
like?  Do you say cool/clever/ironic/flippant things?  Do you have a
piercing?  What colour's your hair?  Are you making ENOUGH OF A STATEMENT."

Hmm. In order: Not a lot, pasty and bald, bloody hell I try, no, what hair,
and if I had a clue how to make a statement, well, I probably wouldn't
because I am too lazy and stupid. I know various people here or hereabouts
think that self-indulgent self-deprecation is a BAD thing, but some people
need outlets for these things, and as long as they give positive things to
the list too (I don't mean relentlessly happy shit, but stuff that's
worthwhile. Edgar Allen Poe. Not exactly cheery, but when he was on the list
it used to KICK ASS), then let 'em moan...

Didn't Martin Connelly used to be called Martin Conneely? It always used to
unbalance my sense of rightness about things, and make me feel slightly
disjointed. A bit like this letter, then.

Since unreleased B&S stuff is currently a vogue topic, could we abuse the
list to try and get Mr Murdoch to release the unbelievably gorgeous Rhoda?
Despite being unable to make out anything beyond the vaguest of tunes, its
seductive folkiness gets me wet, frankly, and I'd kill to have a copy that's
listenable. I love it very much, and no matter what anyone says about the
pre-B&S stuff and how Stuey won't touch any of it with a bargepole, it NEEDS
to be heard by the masses.

Greatest Hits albums - are they a Bad Thing? I think they are. Because I
have that Nick Drake compilation, I *still* haven't bought any of the other
albums. Starry's home made Freedesign collection has made me uncertain about
paying lots of cash to get the less good stuff. But on the other hand, I
wouldn't own rekkids by Donovan, Patsy Cline, Abba, The Fieldmice, Snow
Patrol (only joking, ho ho) and prob'ly loads more if it hadn't been for the
promise of all the good stuff without any filler. I can't get my head round
it...

Nick Dastoor wrote. Isn't that enough, you greedy sods?

Right. 4 digests still to read, and I haven't even really mentioned what we
did in Scotland. You'll just have to wait, you young scamps.

Byesy Bye,
Big fat Mark xxx