Sinister: no romance in early 80s Burnley

piezoelectric unit editor at xxx.uk
Wed Sep 1 16:40:52 BST 1999

PJ (but not Duncan) said something about missing The Duke. For those of you
who joined the list post-Duke, and who have not trawled the archives seeking
all of his words of wisdom, it's probably enough to know that The Duke used
to spend all his posting time making ridiculous comments about Pop music
(and always with a capital P, except of course when he talked about pop such
as, oh, I dunno, Boyzone, although even they might be Pop to someone else)
which, as the preceding parenthesis has just proved, got very tiresome
indeed. Not many people paid attention, but PJ was one of the sad
sub-species of Sinister who did. He even used to respond to things the Duke
wrote, which was always amusing.

But the Duke is no more, which is probably just as well, because he
certainly wouldn't have approved of me listening to Denim On Ice and
thinking that actually it is rather a fine record, and not the embarrassing
pile of tripe that the Duke once said it was. He obviously had cloth ears.
Perhaps he was just a big stuffed toy, much like the mythic Bagpuss. I
digress... Denim on Ice. Where else can you hear the lyrics: 'you suck me
off but I can't come in your mouth.' With a great funky bass noise and
weirdo blips drifting about. Ah, how I would dearly love to hear B&S cover
Brumburger. Or Glue and Smack. Or Jane Suck Died in '77. And hands up how
many of you knew that Lawrence's favourite group of all time is the Sex
Pistols? See, Lydon to Murdoch in two easy steps, and they said it couldn't
be done! Actually I made that up. Obviously.

What is the Kevin Rowland single? I don't look at press things, so I have
seen no advert. I have, however, listened to a blast of Kev's version of, oh
what's that Whitney Houston song? YOU know the one... yes, that one. It was
fantastic. Seriously... utterly brilliant, despite some of Kev's trademark
spoken word mutterings at the start where he witters on about 'the children'
being important or something, and of course quite clearly the 'kids' are all
annoying noisy wee twats who should be culled at age five at the very
latest, with only those who can appreciate Lester Young recordings being
allowed to live. Would certainly solve the global population problems. But
yes... Kev Rowland. What a star. Despite himself.

Does anyone old and dreary like myself remember the group Care? I only ask
because I did remember them and was terribly excited to find their single
'Flaming Swords'  for 25p at the weekend. I hadn't heard it in years...
something like 16 years in fact, and I was delighted to discover that it
sounded as good as I remembered. Better even. Imagine my horror then to see
that the songwriting credits involve one Ian Broudie. Sheesh. Oh well, we're
all allowed to grow up to become soccer-song writing buffoons if we really
so wish. I suppose... although going back to the culling idea, perhaps we
could have an ongoing cull test, and anyone writing songs about soccer could
be immediately sent to the firing squads. I'm dead serious about this you
know. Soccer, scourge of the globe. Who invented the stupid thing anyway? I
bet it was the Scottish, they invent all the dumbest things. Like
television. Not Television mind, just television.

Ahem.

I am now listening the fabulous Meters collection recording. The Duke might
just about have approved of this one, although he might have said it was a
bit 'funky' for his tastes. He really was a buffoon, wasn't he?

I think that's all. Thank you for reading. Normal service will never be
resumed if I can help it. Ever.

Keep the faith

alistair

Tangents Ezine