Sinister: Those knockers in full

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Fri Sep 3 18:14:08 BST 1999

Following Peter Miller's fantastic bit of advice I would like to shout from the
rooftops that I WORK IN THE MEDIA.  I get to wear a trilby and sleep with media
whores and stick it all on my expenses account.  Are media whores supposed to
charge?  Have I been had?

In my capacity as crack news librarian, I have found the following two little
gems in today's cuttings:

In today's Sun (underneath a photo of the new Tindersticks album cover, which
features an 'arty' picture of a naked lady):

THE SOURCE SALUTES....

Tindersticks - Simple Pleasure

THIS lot have had their fair share of knockers in the past, so I suppose it's
only appropriate that they should shove a pair on the cover of the album.  That
said, a record this good shouldn't come in for too much criticism.  Singer
Stuart Staples warbles his way through a fine collection of songs that are as
thoughtful and beautiful as any you're likely to hear for a long while. *****

And in today's Guardian:

The Divine Comedy
A Secret History
(Setanta)
*
For reasons beyond human comprehension, Neil Hannon continues to set up camp in
the upper reaches of the charts with an ultra-tepid, ultra-English brand of
foppish whimsy that your grandparents might have heard on Radio 2 in 1978 and
banished for being "not radical enough". "But you fail to see the dark, knowing
side to his acerbic easy listening anthems," say the postmodernists, as if
Hannon's is-he-or-isn't-he-being-ironic stance excuses the limp innuendo of
Something for the Weekend and lame phrasing of The Pop Singer's Fear of the
Pollen Count. Well, Val Doonican's cardigan to that. A Secret History - the now
familiar "featuring two new tracks" greatest-hits con - is Morrissey with all
the arid wit exchanged for stale conceitedness. Thinking of leaving the country,
but needing that one final push? Buy this. (TC)

Not as great an opening gambit as the Sun, I grant you, but a refreshing example
of the Guardian music journalists getting something right for a change.

What's all this about me only liking 'Hurley's Having Dreams' in an 'ironic'
way.  I think it's bloody fantastic, I'll have you know.  And so does Tim
Hopkins.  It's got some lovely lines in it and its depiction of the central
character's crazeee ways is as good as any of Stuart's 'this song is about a
girl who's a bit mad' songs.  Not like 'Rhoda', which just repeats the same lame
lines about special persons and special K over and over abloodygain over some
piss-poor guitar line ripped off of 'Julia' by the Beatles, who are better than
the Beach Boys, though probably less P!O!P! overall.  I love the Beach Boys, by
the way.  But I stand by my crowd-baiting claim that 'Friends' is overrated.

Someone implied that 'Rhoda' is a pre B&S song.  I know it sounds like that, but
I've been told that it was actually recorded some time between T and IYFS.  Is
this true?

Nick xx