Sinister: P!articoloured O!ffbeat P!honology

Perfection As A Hipster Andreas.Hering at xxx.de
Sun Sep 5 16:13:53 BST 1999

Sinners, scenesters, fakers and lurkers,

only thought I'd drop by for a couple of recommendations, my apologies in
advance for not being in line with your regularly sheduled programme ...
Cliff Richard isn't very popular these days, is he ?

The Jazz Butcher are playing a couple of US shows over the next weeks ...

September 09 - Troubador, Los Angeles, California
          11 - Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, California
          14 - Berbatis Pan, Portland, Washington
          16 - Crocodile Cafe, Seattle, Washington
          23 - Wetlands, New York, New York

Attendance is highly recommended for anyone in the area, even if you don't
have the slightest clue who they are ... for the initiated, they will play
in the classic formation that recorded the second _A Scandal In Bohemia_
album back in 1984 and the choice of songs should be likewise.

As regards contemporary P!O!P! treasury, Carrick C Blair wrote ...

>But Jordi...There is a Ninotchka song on the somewhat recently
>released Head In the Clouds CD compilation on Dreamy. It's only a
>minute and a half long but its a nice one and a half minutes. The
>rest the cd is amazing, especially the wonderful
>Arco
>and Graham
>and Farina
>and Jacques featuring Kirk Lake
>and on and on.

Rare as they are, worthwile recommendations must be seconded ... the
"Longsighted" 7" by Arco was my favourite single of last year (the most
beloved album being _Good Morning Spider_ by Sparklehorse) and even though
the compilation album features the flipsides of the debut single only, the
exclusive Graham songs are worth the admission price alone ... achingly
beautiful melancholia for candlelight evenings. More information on the most
promising new record label around is available at
http://www.dreamyrecords.demon.co.uk ... or simply send £18 for Arco's
"Longsighted" 7" and "Ending Up" CDs as well as the _Head In The Clouds_ CD
(20 songs, no less) to Dreamy Records Ltd, 6 Kenilworth Road, London, W5
3UH, England and you won't be dissapointed. And while I'm here, the recently
released _Heavy Black Frame_ CD by Tram on Piao! Records is another
favourite in this vein. Finally, for those who missed out on the _Practical
Footwear_ CD by Sodastream the first time around, a reissue on Tugboat
Records is forthcoming ... how come that nobody ever mentioned the striking
resemblance of Stuart Murdoch's voice on Karl Smith's excellent "The Sky Is
Beginning To Bruise" solo 7" (Aquamudvuv Records/Bad Jazz Records) anyway ?

"Must Say More"

              Andreas

   The rain it raineth on the just
    And also on the unjust fella