Sinister: "you can only go where the traffic goes"

RPushong at xxx.com RPushong at xxx.com
Sun Sep 5 17:02:38 BST 1999

good morning / good afternoon / good evening...

i'm not sure what started me off on this thought ...yes i do ...i went to a
record shop with a few friends from work ...and it was funny how different
peple have different perceptions on whats cool and whats not cool ...i don't
talk much about music at work but my friends know that i'm into music , i'm
in a band and we have our own studio...but thats all they know...they know
nothing about the music i make or the music that i listen to which is
completely different.

anyway ...were in the shop ...4 of us ...all making our selections i'm the
last one to pay ...so the other 3 are looking at what i've got...my purchases
were:
Royal Trux -" veterans of disorder."   its a 10 track promo for £2!!!
a Foundry compilation - " will our children thank us " i'm already familiar
with this 'cos a friend taped it for me a while back this was £5 ,good value
i thought ...its got Piano Magic , Billy Mahonie , Appliance , Electric Sound
of Joy + a few others.
Salako - "the bird and the bag"...its a 1 track promo ...99p & its a cracking
song too.
V- Twin -" thank you baby "...not what i was expecting ...the only other
V-Twin stuff i've got is " in the land of the pharoah's " & that was genius.

so i spent about £10 in total ...not bad i thought...until the comments ..."
richie's only buying that stuff to be different "
" no he's not he's buying all that weird stuff so he can sample it " (this is
referring to my music making exploits which is very sample based)
now this annoyed me a bit 'cos they have no idea about that stuff that i do
...then it hit me ...they really do have no idea ...
& my response was " at least i can go into a record shop ...& not feel lost "
which did the trick & gave them something to think about.
i love record shops ...i love shopping for records ...its 2nd nature to me
...i could be anywhere in the world but wherever i was i'd have one eye
looking out for a record shop.
its got nothing to do with cool or not cool...its personal taste ...there are
people out there that have no interest in music ...it took me a long time to
understand this... and there are people out there that are content with the
sort of bands that you hear on the radio & thats fine too... & there are
people like me that would die without music & the anticipation of hearing "
that next band " i believe someone on this list likened it to an
addiction...i'd go along with that...
the thing is my friends at work  might even like some of the stuff that i
listen to ...but i don't think they would ever admit to liking anything that
i played them...because then they would realise that i'm not so different
after all & that i just like music...all kinds of music.

the time is late ...my sleeping patterns are all messed up 'cos i've been
working 17hr days for the last 3 weeks..., i finished work this morning at
7:30am went straight to the supermarket which is 24hr ...and remembered there
was a picnic on Primrose Hill ...i bought assorted goodies went home &
decided to stay awake until the picnic
and then i promptly fell asleep or more like a coma ...for 18 hrs !!!
the picnic is over ...i've got all sorts of cakes ...and tasty cookies ...so
i'm going to have my own picnic ...in my front room...
i've got a field mice  tape playing back from '89 ...they sound a bit out of
tune ...there are all sorts of problems with their drum machine...but they
still sound fantastic ...next up a sea urchins tape from around the same
time...i'll say goodbye i've got good food , good drink , good sounds ...etc
etc ... sounds a bit like the perfect evening ( except its early morning ) if
your in the area your welcome to join me...if not nevermind...all the more
for me...

                                               ...richard...