Sinister: zen and the art of booze management

Marcus Omond marcusomond at xxx.com
Mon Sep 6 09:36:12 BST 1999

oh dear oh dear oh dear

you know, chaps, SOMEONE out there really should teach me the art of pacing
myself... i mean, it'd be rather impressive if one picnic i could actually
get to the pub before either passing out or throwing up everywhere...

anyway, for all you poor listees who missed yet another lovely picnic,
here's what happened (as far as i can remember).  this gathering was much
smaller than the usual london picnics, and i brought a pretty  picnic virgin
along - the less beautiful of the two cypriot listees, master alex runchman.
  unfortunately the prettiest cypriot listee was still in cyprus, which was
a pity.  her absence was much lamented...

anyway, poor erica, the most prettiest girl on sinister (officially) was
there, and she had injured one of her two heavenly legs by falling down an
escalator chasing tim baxendale.  in fact, she was so injured that i was
shockingly unable to tempt her with my gallons of alcohol due to painkiller
consumption.  all the more for me then...

lovely debbie arrived a little later, and said that she was going back to
canada on tuesday, which is a pity, as she's made the summer rather
enjoyable for some... come back next year, debbie dear, and we'll all get
drunk (again).

geoff was resplendant as ever.  he turned up striding across the hill in a
pale blue suit (i'm not allowed to say it was grey - he got insulted by
that) and the loveliest pair of cufflinks.  oh, and a big bag of gin and
lemonade, which was welcomed with almost as much enthusiasm as geoff's own
arrival.  geoffrey is so smart and sophisticated - look at his picture on
the pictures page... he really dresses like that, you know.  meeting geoff
is like seeing for a moment how the other half lives... ;)

anyway, football was played, and as there were only eight participants
everyone got rather tired rather quickly - i'm sure that's what did for me -
it was the dehydration from running too much during the football rather than
the equivalent of twelve pints of booze in various forms and rather too much
dope.  to refresh myself a little after the football was over, i concocted a
drink.  this one was not so successful in charming the ladies as my last
one, and i've called it the 'vomit inducer'.  it involved a mixture of gin,
cypriot brandy, lemonade, wine (both colours, i believe), cranberry juice,
the dregs from all of david kitchen's various interesting alcoholic
beverages all topped up with about a pint of luke warm lager.  top.  um, i
can't actually remember if anyone else was stupid enough to imbibe the
divine elixir, so if you had some too, please let me know what it tasted
like... probably pretty much like what it tasted of on the way back up, i
imagine...

anyway, to cut a long story short, it's a long walk home, especially if you
throw up all over yourself and the pub next door to the record shop where
you're going to buy all the new releases come monday.  i think it took alex
and i about three hours to get me from primrose hill to west hampstead,
which is rather impressive...

i can fully assure everyone that our chalet at bowlie two is going to be the
drunkest.  two of my chalet mates, drunken matt and meran, both put in a
stunning performance in the drinking stakes while at the picnic.  i'm not
sure quite how conscious they were in the end, but they didn't seem that
much in a better state than i was...

anyway, that's about all the news from this little drunken corner of london
town.  like i said, if anyone can teach me how not to get SSSOOO drunk so
quickly, the help would be much appreciated ;)

anyway, i'm off to listen to once around the block yet another time - rather
good, isn't it.  but not as good as alix's lovely tape (now brandy flavour
:) ),

anyway, i'll see y'all at a pub very near where master dastoor works in the
near future,

love

Marcus XXX