Sinister: Music mags

Robin Carmody robin at xxx.uk
Mon Sep 6 20:01:40 BST 1999

> NOT the NME or Melody Maker, although I read both until quite recently,
> but
> > I couldn't take their sinking to the lowest common denominator.
>
> Not quite sure if this is common knowledge or not but due to the fact it's
> circulation is going down the toilet Melody Maker is going to be
relaunched
> at some point in October as an A4 magazine that will apparently bridge the
> gap between Smash Hits and the NME!  So they won't even have to pretend
> they're being ironic when they have All Saints or Mel C on the cover.

It's sad, because I used to cherish the Maker for precisely the same reason
my Oasis-loving, NME / Select-reading friends hated it, its relative
intellectualism and fairly high aspirations.  But as soon as Mark Sutherland
came in, the decline was inevitable.

robin
-------
"He who prides himself on giving the public what he thinks it wants is often
creating a fictitious demand for lower standards which he will then
satisfy" - Lord Reith