Sinister: the customary hello

Phoebe Scheel pscheel at xxx.com
Fri Sep 10 19:14:27 BST 1999

Hello foxes!
I've just emerged from the nursery...charming place it was, but I rather
felt like a cabbage patch doll with my body stuck in the ground and my head
poking through the top of a cabbage, just waiting for a nice list mummy to
come and pluck me out...so here I am at last, all decked out in my B+S
t-shirt and Xavier Roberts scrawled across my bum (that'll be a chore to get
off!).  As you might have gathered by now, I don't have a point, except to
say how pleased I am to see that there are other DC listees.  I've only just
moved here--straight out of college and very frightened--but I will most
definitely make my presence known at the next capital city Sinister
gathering (you do have those, right?) for I am sad and jealous of all those
lucky ducks partying in London.  There's still plenty of warm weather
left...  Ah well, in the meantime, I'll amuse myself with all of your witty
and infinitely entertaining letters that I so look forward to.  It's a glum
day here, but I'm going to go sit outside for a bit. Oh yes, back when I was
still trapped in the cabbage, someone sinister mentioned all the tourists in
Union Station--well, I work just across the street from there and often
spend my lunch hours watching (and laughing at) the throngs of tourists who
come and go...an odd bunch, I must say.  Yesterday, this woman spent at
least five minutes intently videotaping a mob of pigeons fighting over a
cracker!  Then she taped the lunatic with a trumpet.  I have to feel sorry
for her, for when she gets home and shows the video to her poor unsuspecting
family, she'll undoubtedly hear my friend and I in the background making
sarcastic comments about her choice of noteworthy attractions.  Here's
another hint for all you potential tourists (something they won't tell you
in a guidebook): it's not possible to ring the bell outside Union Station,
but if you climb up inside of it, you can bang on the inside and make a
wonderful racket!  oh dear, my first post and I'm already off-topic, I do
apologize.

I hope everyone has a lovely sunny day,
Phoebe