Sinister: hello again

Youn Jong Noh ynoh at xxx.EDU
Mon Sep 13 17:33:13 BST 1999

Hi everyone,

I feel slightly out of touch cos I didn't post over the summer and I feel
extremely guilty to be sending this message here in the department
computer lab/library, but I just moved to Columbus, Ohio and since I'm not
living in a dorm and don't have ethernet, it's taking a while to set up my
internet connection.

The night before last I listened to Tigermilk before falling asleep and
was struck by how sad the first three songs on what must be the second
side of the original LP are - not despair, but the sad feeling when you
know you're stuck and really can't do anything.  Maybe that should be
called despair, too.  I moved into this house and so far one of my new
roommates is here.  He lived in Japan for the past two years, and because
I am Asian - though technically, Asian-American, whatever the difference
is - I keep on feeling that I should be like one of the girls in Shonen
Knife.  He has a girlfriend in Japan with whom he communicates via a video
contraption attached to his laptop computer.  So far we've got along
just fine, watching his videos - "The Life of Brian" and "Dr.
Strangelove" - both of which I'd never seen before.  He cooks and I do the
dishes. He's helped me with my computer; with setting up electronic
accounts, bank accounts, etc.  School starts in about two weeks.

I wish they didn't have the person speaking on "My Wandering Days are
Over".  It makes the song sound clever or like other songs that use
similar devices - I think there's one by Suede.  It's like contrived
chaos.  The lines about the circus boy make me think of paintings by
Picasso of harlequins and circus people who look so sad and still and
rooted to the ground without really belonging anywhere.  I don't like the
cruelty and lewdness of his later paintings though.  It may have been
genuine enough, but I guess I'm just not a realist.

OK, other people have started coming in, so I guess I'd better stop ...
Youn