Sinister: On the glamourous sadness of circus life

Arantxa Sanz pcxas at xxx.uk
Tue Sep 14 14:29:23 BST 1999

Or on William Messent's glamourous life.How could you get invited at such
a posh party?I am ready for any tips.Probably this lad will tell us in his
next mail he is on the way to Tuscany invited for a truly exclusive wine
tasting when grapes had just been picked by some viscount owning a castle
dated in the 14th century or whoever.

I had devoted in the past some time to think about why circus atmosphere
is so gloomy and makes me feel so depressed. Circus has never been
enjoyable for me,not even as a kid, and probably it is related to that
'unrootedness' it oozes.It is unfair beggars and vagrant poor people had
never touched me so deeply, though people working in fairs and selling
sweet pop corn and so on have the same effect on my guts.Probably i just
feel more moved because their way of life embbedds somewhat romanticism ,
all that stuff about providing joy for others, and my 'mythomaniac' side
reacts as very impressed ( Sorry about 'mythomaniac': i know it doesn't
mean the same in English, but maybe someone can find the equivalent
expression when reading this and suggests me to use it, please!)

University Challenge makes me react too.On one side, I am amazed how
unliterate and rough I am after 20 years in full time education; on
another side, I basically become a psycho killer if Jeremy Paxton is at
sight.Some bloke in my department named Ben Hickman is going to
participate for Nottingham.I know he would have loved to attend Oxford or
Cambridge and he was rejected, so I reckon it would be his revenge to win
Trinity at the very final, but that only happens in Hollywood...

Any clues on which programms are B&S' folks favourites? Last week I read
about Arab Strap and the Pastels' ones.I just remember they liked East
Enders!

Has anyone a picnic basket to borrow? I promise home-baked apple pie in
return

A.xxxx