Sinister: POLICEMAN! You're working for the government

Steven Kirk steven at xxx.uk
Thu Sep 16 09:36:37 BST 1999

POLICEMAN! That uniform is excellent.

Sorry, TJR was quoting Yummy Fur lyrics and I couldn't help but do the same.
I know, I know, if he jumped in a river etc etc.

Now, call me observant, but I've noticed the fashionable thing to do round
these parts is to put little headings in your post. Who am I to go against
the grain?

PORTUGUESE

I put one of those Portuguese messages into the translation thingy at
babelfish.altavista.com and it came out with this:

How it will be tomorrow? It had, certain time, a very wise man. It was
capable to answer all the questions that they were made to it. Its fame
spreads for all the neighbouring regions e of very far they came people to
consider questions and problems to it. Sergio liveed in the same city a
called boy. This boy, when the time of the birds arrived to make its nests
and to create its younglings, the nests were capable of discovered all of
that region. He was xactly at a time thus, that it decided to look to the
old scholar and to make a question to it. But, this question, would have of
to be most difficult of all. It would make with that the scholar errasse ba
reply. E planned following: I go to present itself to the hidden scholar
leading in my hand a youngling of bird. When it will be ahead of it, I will
extend my closed hand and I will ask: " What I am hiding in my hand " If it
to say me: " a youngling

Does that make sense to anyone?

TINDERSTICKS

The new album is quite different to curtains/second album. It's a little
more upbeat, with slightly shorter songs. The main thing that I like about
the new one is its *soulfullness*. Lots of soul backing vocals and a kind of
middle-of-the-road feel to the arrangements (that's not as bad a thing as it
sounds, honestly). It's not as different from the previous two albums as the
first album, but it's more of a progression. Still a band to die for, if you
ask me.

TOM WAITS

Anyone heard Blue Valentine by Tom Waits. Not *that* is a fucking
magnificent album. My previous favourite of his was Frank's Wild Years which
is completely mental. Blue Valentine is more sane, but more moving.

SHYNESS

Don't worry 'bout shyness. Come to the picnic. It'll be lovely. Like I said
last time, if anyone wants a quiet drink on Friday, get in touch. Actually,
it might not be that quiet, but still.

BELLE & SEBASTIAN

(sarcasm)
NME taking the piss out of B&S? How dare they?
(end sarcasm)

Now don't get me wrong, B&S are one of my favourite bands ever, but if
anyone deserves a bit of piss-taking, surely it's them. Or the Tindersticks.
Or any of my other favourite bands for that matter. In fact, any band who
doesn't deserve a piss-take doesn't deserve to exist. Take the Stereophonics
for example, how exactly would you go about taking the piss out of a band
who are so DULL?

HOLIDAYS

See you in a week.