Sinister: never trust a man in a blue trenchcoat

Robyn Fadden rfadden at xxx.com
Thu Sep 16 11:37:13 BST 1999

Wow, I just got back from Mogwai (and boy are my arms
tired...), but my god they were amazing! Practically a
religious experience. This is music for the new
millennium, I say, (since everything is *something*
for the new millennium these days.) They just kicked
ass. A movie begs to be made based on a Mogwai
score/soundtrack. My ears are only ringing a little,
too - the plugs were wrecking things, so I took them
out after a minute or so. I mainly put them in so I
wouldn't have to hear the lame-ass guys beside me talk
loudly during the quiet bits. Just b/c it's quiet and
there are no words, does not mean you must provide a
voice, twitknobs. But they stopped soon enough. Har,
they got drowned out and ran away. The band is *the*
shit. I am quite content right now.
But where were other Vancouver-area sinisterites? It
was a quiet night on that front. Perhaps we can become
unshy for a while and meet up before GodspeedYBE on
Tuesday. That would be nice. All the other cities are
doin' it...
JygsawDave (you are never boring) & others talked
about feeling like you're in a movie: like you're just
passing through a very vivid set and you can see all
around you, but in your head you can also see the
movie screen with you on it. Feeling there and not
there. There's this film noir movie (redundancies,
sorry) called "Blast of Silence" that I saw the other
day. It's not a wonderfully written movie or anything,
in fact pretty laughable at times, but it deals with
this dichotomy - it's all written in 2nd person, a
pretty dangerous choice as that can get ugly fast.
Which it did, but somehow forgivably. But the
interesting thing is that in this movie, as in much
film noir, the main character is walking around having
a dialogue with himself, as are many other characters
because they can't trust anyone else. And they can't
even trust themselves, as evidenced in this movie
where there is a constant (and I paraphrase slightly),
"you know what to do, you go into that room and you
kill that guy, you do it because that's who you are,
that's who you've always been, a killer. A killer
since the day you were born. But you remember,
memories...fading..." So he's caught up in this voice
(that could be him, or could be some no-name narrator
who somehow knows just who he is, or doesn't.) Like
the narrator is following him around behind the
camera, interpreting his actions, guessing at who he
is and telling him what to do so much that the main
character thinks he is this "you" and forgets for the
most part who he really is. He sees himself (if he is
the narrator) in a movie, yet his actions in the movie
also contradict what the narrator says and have
consequences the main character didn't think he'd have
to deal with being such a cool character and all. So
back to our lives: in many ways if you're having this
movie feeling, maybe you're being partly a narrator,
looking at yourself as others might see you and partly
being yourself, watching others' reactions to you.
(use of 2nd person intentional). It's so interesting.
Lots of theories, but I've already gone on too long
and it's super late.
There was mention of Tom Waits. He is on tour. I have
a lovely ticket. I am happy. There is a gaping hole in
my wallet where my money was sucked out, but I've come
to accept it. You can't put a price on happiness, you
can't put a price on Tom Waits. The man is frickin'
priceless.
In real life, I don't talk this much. Not this
steadily anyway.
Goodnight,
Robyn

===
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything. ~Steven Wright
~~~
Robyn Fadden    rfadden at yahoo.com    Vancouver, BC