Sinister: Indie rock sensibilities gone horribly sour

Jygsaw18 at xxx.com Jygsaw18 at xxx.com
Fri Sep 17 05:38:56 BST 1999

Can i share something with the list?

Alright,i will,thankyou.

I've realized that what i don't like about the jock/townie whatever you call
them crowd is the attitude, not the clothes.

    I don't own anything by Tommy Hilfiger or Phat Farm, but even if i did,
it wouldn't matter. The problem is the mindset that "Because I am wearing
what I am wearing, I am worth more than you"
    And i don't really like a lot of the popular music today, that is, TOP 40
stuff, but that's personal opinion. To their ears, belle and sebastian are
probably just as repugnant.

    Unfortunately, Music Snobbery and Brand Name Consciousness are just as
prevalent in the indie rock scene.
We hate it when our heroes become popular, and widespread enjoyment of a
previously underground band makes them pariahs. The mere mention of their
name causes previous diehard fans to say "ooh, i only like their old stuff,
you know, before they sold out"

    We're all so happy and smug because the pair of ratty pants we have is
the antithesis of the popular style. Pride in hideously tacky Goodwill pants
is no less pretentious than pride in the largest pair of Boss Jeans
available..

    I don't mean to point fingers at anyone. If anything, i'm one of the
biggest offenders i know of.. So please don't take any offense at this. I'm
just posting it in the hopes that maybe some of this list will take what i
say to heart.
    I wish that there was more of a sense of camaraderie and unity at liking
a certain style of music, rather than this "i'm more indie than you" feel i
get sometimes.

    I'm making an effort to be a nicer person, both on the list and in my
personal life, which probably won't affect any of you too much. But I'd like
to apologize to anyone i may have offended. I do mean this, too.

    Only rock stars and millionaires can be jerks and get away with it, since
they have truckloads of money. I doubt I'll ever be either. I'd rather be a
nice guy. It's much more satisfying.

I'm sorry if this is boring or irrelevant for any of you.. i just thought
perhaps this was the best forum to voice this opinion in.

take care, sinisterites...

dave. (lunar tic)